Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Bagger Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006 | 10:44 AM
jjsanta
|
Tourer
Default Bagger Exhaust Question

This SG is my first bagger, previous bikes have been Softail or Dyna with both exhaust pipes exiting on the same side. Is it normal to have more exhaust pressure and sound out of the right side exhaust? Maybe due to the crossover....

Old 05-09-2006 | 10:57 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Bagger Exhaust Question

Perfectly normal. If you look closely at the desgin of the pipe as it exits the rear head, you'll notice that the "path of least resisance" is straight out to the right side pipe - not out and making a 90 degree turn into the left side pipe. It's really more for looks than anything else. For that reason (not to mention performance gains), I prefer 2 into 1 systems ~ even on my bagger(s)....

COngrats on the SG!

Old 05-09-2006 | 02:01 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member

I agree with PhilM

Old 05-09-2006 | 04:10 PM
CLCFred
Intermediate

I have been told that its normal to have one side hotter then the other since its not TRUE DUEL. Then again I didnt care to attempt that theory

Old 05-09-2006 | 05:14 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Also the right muffler on the "06" touring models contains a catalytic converter built right into the muffler and it gets hot as hell.........................BG

Old 05-11-2006 | 09:22 AM
hobojo1
Advanced

BigGeorge is correct. I have an 06 U/C and let me tell ya, the right side gets hot after a while. Thinking about getting something to keep my right thigh from cooking....Later

Old 05-11-2006 | 10:50 AM
ricoman
Road Master

The HD stock pipes run about 80% of the exhaust through the right side. Cosequently the right side is a lot warmer. You can go to true duals or add heat deflectors. There are a few of these available. lots of folks in my area are using the Kutykyn lexan deflectors in smoke or clear. No worries the right side heat is normal.

Old 05-11-2006 | 04:39 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"

Remove the LH slip-on and you will see the real reason. On the LH pipe right at the end where the slipon fits up there is a baffle in the header pipe. This is the main restriction device, rather than the crossover.

Makes it almost like having a 2 into 1 system. If I ever decide to change back from stockers I will go with a thunderheader.

But I like stock! With one baffle removed, of course.

Old 05-11-2006 | 04:50 PM
jjsanta
|
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the left side pipe when I get the chance - I never heard about that baffle before....

Old 05-13-2006 | 02:59 PM
ricoman
Road Master

Yesterday i installed V&H true duals. I could not find or see any baffle in the left side header pipe.
The new pipes sound good, by the way.

Quick Reply: Bagger Exhaust Question