Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ping?!...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
SMacDunk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping?!...

'07 FLHRC... As long as I can remember, my bike made a very subtle pinging when I got on it a little. I figured it was some sort of pre-detonation or something... bike always ran great otherwize. Did the stage 1, and the subtle ping was still there... again barely perceptable if you didn't know the bike. Unusual sound though, so it was always in the back of my mind.

Well, on a roadtrip this weekend... couple of hours into the ride on a hot day and almost no gas in the tank (light was on), the pinging started at cruising speed on the highway (never did that before). It was pretty bad. I got off the road, gassed up, checked things out, and the bike went back to 'normal' only pinging when I get on it. Huh?! Figured it must be 'bad' gas and perhaps lending cred to my detonation theory. But WTF?! why is the bike doing this at all? It's tuned right on, I use good gas, maintain the bike way above HD standards, and I have 'pebbles' rattling around my engine?! apx 8K miles.

Any thoughts? I'll take the engine down if I have to, but never thought too much of the noise until it escallated on me in the middle of nowhere (didn't do much to inspire confidence in my relatively new bike). Advice/leads greatly appreciated. "Dunk"

Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

had same thing on my superglide, got it downloaded...still there. put tts mastertune on it

played with using the maps...almost gone. then i started playing with autolite plugs

the ping was just about gone using one step colder#4163. last week i put in #4162

witch is 2 ranges colder and i havent heard any pings at all. but ive been fighting this

as far back as two years.... man this efi stuff is expensive!!! its fun though.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
fettnersa
Tourer

I have an 09 that pings mostly when cold to warming up when I get on it around 3k RPM'S. It will sometimes do it when cruising at 3K as well. I have a tts and dyno tuned so I'm stumped. I tried some NHRA octane booster and it improved but not fully. I wonder if the plugs would help me?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Are you guys removing timing to try to get rid of it? Roll on ping is hard to find exactly where to remove timing. I'm not surprised the dyno guy didn't catch it either. I ended up writing software to take care of it on my bike.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the built in spark retard.
Only way I can find my pinging is a forced method caused by my bad, time or two. Or when I, Record Data. Can see this on the graft.
Normally you should'n hear this and it shouldn't do it.
The tuner may have left the ,"spark retard" off which is a selectable in the SERT and the TTS, "engine constance" table. Check that out.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

yea my knock sensor is enabled, i just havent had the time to do any data runs.

so i had some colder spark plugs laying around, gapped em and threwm in real fast, they

seemd to have cured my pinging. i know its pinging because every time i roll on the throttle

in 6th doing 70mph I get that pea gravel hitting the front fender sound.

very annoying.