Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 04:02 PM
rmartinjr
|
6th Gear
Question Exhaust

I am a new owner of a 2006 Road King Classic. I love it but am checking into new slip-ons to increase the sound. I've read several good reviews on Wild Pig Pipes and will probably go this route. I've also been reading alot about what I need to do to make the change but I am still confused. I understand that I need to get a new air intake but can someone explain the fuel adjustments. I've seen information about a TFI control and about a stage 1 download. Do I need both? Will the stage 1 download be all I need? Will the TFI control negate the need for the stage 1 download? I'm mainly doing it for the sound and not to add performance and I'm also on a tight budget so if I can do one and not the other it would be great. Is there aftermarket slip-on's that don't require anything else?

Old 04-27-2009 | 05:08 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior

If you keep your intake stock, you can run pretty much any brand of slip-ons without an ECM upgrade/stage 1 download, etc. This will be the cheapest route to take if your only goal is to get a "better" sound vs. stock.

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:48 PM
rmartinjr
|
6th Gear

So basically, if I don't change the intake side, then no adjustments are necessary for the fuel system?

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:18 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Right, you would be fine with stock calibration. The download wouldn't hurt though, Harley has the bikes running pretty lean from the factory, the download will help richen it up and help it run cooler. Remember the download is a one time deal, if you get a stagfe one download, you would be good for only exhaust and air cleaner. If you wanted to add cams or do further upgrades down the road, you would need to get a fuel management system of some sort, i.e. SER, SEST, PCIII, PCV, TTS etc. Anyone of these are better than the download.

Old 05-21-2009 | 03:39 PM
rmartinjr
|
6th Gear

I've added the new Wild Pig Pipe mufflers with 1 3/4 baffles. They sound great!! I didn't change anything else but I am getting quite a bit of popping when down shifting. What do I need to do? I didn't change the intake or do a download, just the pipes like I was told. If a download would correct this, then would I need to do the air intake as well? The louder sound for safety is really all I am looking for.
Thanks.

Old 05-21-2009 | 04:36 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by rmartinjr
I've added the new Wild Pig Pipe mufflers with 1 3/4 baffles. They sound great!! I didn't change anything else but I am getting quite a bit of popping when down shifting. What do I need to do? I didn't change the intake or do a download, just the pipes like I was told. If a download would correct this, then would I need to do the air intake as well? The louder sound for safety is really all I am looking for.
Thanks.
Decel popping can be caused by several things.
Leaky Gasket
To Lean AFR on Decel
To Rich AFR on Decel (Less common)

I recommend not using down shifting as your means to slow the bike down. Use your break and try and match your gear selection with your engine speed, also called Rev Matching.

Old 05-22-2009 | 04:52 PM
rmartinjr
|
6th Gear

I don't think it is smart to use the engines compression to slow the bike but even on decel it does a lot of popping. Does this mean that I need a download to richen it up. I didn't have the problem before the new pipes so I would think a bad gasket is unlikely. I was told that these pipes didn't require the down load but being an '06, I don't have the O2 sensors which may help with small adjustments.

Old 05-22-2009 | 05:50 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

With pipes you don't require any AF managment, that is not to say its not a good recommendation if you have the $$$ at the time. Fuel managment will help adjust for the small changes in air flow that are created by a new set of pipes. If your planning on doing more to your bike I suggest/recommend skipping the download, use SERT/SEST or TTS and have your bike tuned or tune it yourself. With my TTS if I develop a popping I work to tune it out myself.

Decel is in Open Loop on O2 sensored bikes so we are all in the same boat for popping on Decel.