Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

JIMS 120 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 AM
white01ss
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JIMS 120 reliability

I am looking at potentially purchasing a bike that has a JIMS 120 with 10k on the motor, and 19K on the bike. Before I jump into anything I like to know a little more about what I might be potentially buying. I have found many mixed emotions when it comes to this motor, it seems like it is a love hate relationship. I don't do a lot of riding each year (usually less then 5k, with at least half of those resulting from a trip). I'm looking for a bike that will get me around the area, but also not leave me along the side of the road in the middle of the badlands.

Can anyone tell me about their personal experiences with this motor? Is it reliable?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Bigbluefatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is it is a pretty reliable motor, with loads of power.

If all you want to do is ride around and take long trips then your money may be better spent on a bike with a stock motor and exhaust or something simple like that. Maybe a stage 1 kit or something.

I have ridden my past jims 120 to kentucky a few times for little sturgis, and made a few trips to the lake of the ozarks on it. I have had no issues with it being reliable.
I just dont think that is your best option for a bike that you plan on putting low miles on and using for trips mainly..

Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jims has issues just liek every other MFG .
i would think about what you are buying it is a reliable engin\e but bigger motors need special attention.
what kind of cams are in the motor ???
what kind of compression??
when was the heads off and springs inspected???
Carb or EFI ????
high hp motor or low compression stump puller ( the lower compression would be the most reliable)
warranty??
now just like any other purchase
do you need or want a 120.
it may be more beneficial to you to buy a bike and re-do the negine yourselfto your likeing that will give you what you want..
dont just buy it to buy it.
if thats the case ill sell you mine...