Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New 95" kit with low power gain

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
On my Andrews 37H they say stock to 9.5:1, I'm waiting on an adapter for my comp. gauge to see where I'm at because I'm thinking about advancing it until I change the topend. The intake closes at 38 now, if I move it to 34 would that be too much?
A compression gauge isn't going to tell you what CR you are at........that is going to tell you the Cold Cranking Compression.

But with your CCC and the cam specs and a few other numbers, you can plug them into a calculator like the one on Big Boyz website.........and it will give you your approx. CR.

Steve

Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CCC is what I was looking to get, I've been on the BB site and I've learned it doesn't take much to throw the numbers way off, so I want to see it on a gauge. I've been hearing about advancing the TW6 so much it has me wondering what it would do for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by critter_catcher74
good point. Do you know about any difference between the 88 cams and the 96 cams due to the crank stroke? I threw that in because I had heard that but it just seems like BS. They dont sell different cams for each and every SBC just because they have a different stroke (283/327/350 doesn't matter, all the same cam). Just asking because you seem to know what you are talking about.
i dont know much but i have been where he is at trying to figure out how the hell i got here.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
MikeinCR
6th Gear

Hey guys, forgive my ignorance but can you explain how to CC the heads and measure the deck height or is this way over a novice's head. Is this something that a machine shop needs to do? I have access to depth guages, dial indicators, and calipers...???

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To measure the deck height you will need a set of feeler gauges and a straight edge. You have to have the top end removed from the motor down to the cylinders with pistons in them. Bolt down the cylinders so they are tight to the cases and won't move around. Put each piston at it's highest point by turning the rear tire with the bike in 5th gear. When you find the highest point, lay your straight edge over the middle of the piston and use your feeler gauges to measure from the center of the piston to the straight edge if you are low. If you are high, measure from the straight edge to the top of the cylinder sleeve.

CC'ing the heads is something I leave to my head guy......Big Boyz Cycles. I know how it's done, but I've never done it myself. Maybe someone will chime in with their technique for doing it.

Steve

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

to cc the heads you need a Burette with cc measurements, take a some colored liquid (food coloring in rubbing alc works so does marvel mystry oil) take a flat piece of plex glass and drill a hole in the center, take some grease to make a seal and place the plexi glass over the head and turn the head upside down and fill thru the hole in the plexiglass make sure that it is completely full of the liquid and there are no air pockets and the amount of liquid used is the cc volume of the head. have the sparky installed.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
MikeinCR
6th Gear

Guys, thanks for the info...that's good stuff.

Can someone recommend a good place to get the heads shaved? Will they rework them if they have already been "touched"?