Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE Touring Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Valkyrie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SE Touring Mufflers

Can anyone tell me the difference between the standard SE mufflers and the touring SE mufflers. I have an 07 Ultra that came with the SE touring mufflers, looks like two bolts and the baffles will slide out. Is the packing different or is it the design of the baffle different, what makes that touring muffler just a bit more quiet than the standard SE.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:55 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Don't know about the baffle but do know there isn't much if any difference in sound between the 2. I've heard them both and they pretty much sound almost the same to me. When your dealing with a 49 - 50 state legal exhaust they all are pretty much the same DB level with the only difference might be tone.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the most obvious difference is that the SE touring mufflers are 4 inches in diameter, where the SE Street performance ones are 3 1/2. The larger internal volume of the 4" mufflers are somewhat more conducive to producing torque at lower rpm. Decent flow while maintaining back pressure and quiet. More open or straight through flow mufflers have a tendency to build more HP but at higher rpm, but also increase the sound.
I'm not real familiar with the 07 and newer internals but I can tell you that the 06 touring mufflers I had have the fiber and steel wool insulation adhered to the outside wall off the muffler. This better insulated against bluing and didn't burn out to change tone in 30,000 miles or so. Being on the outside wall also cuts down on harmonic drone and tinny sound that may occur when the core wrapped type burns off or all ends up at the back half of the muffler in a wad. My bud's 06 SE performance mufflers blued severely after the fiber wrap burned off the cores by 7000 miles or less and became a lot louder. He would polish most of the blue and yellow off every 5000 miles and within another 3000 they would look like crap again over half the length of the pipe. He had the bike dyno tuned (SERT) twice so it was not lean running. I finally gave him some muffler wrap I had lying around the garage and re-wrapped the cores for him. All the insulation left was a 3 inch wad at the back end of the core. that was why the blued so quickly. After the new wrap the bike sounds deep and not so loud you can't hear the stereo again. Pipes have also not reblued yet after 4000 miles.
It's an Ultra, why pay good money for a stereo, Intercom and CB if you can't hear it. When he talked on the CB I heard more off his mufflers through my receiver than I did of him.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM
utrvp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SE touring muffler. After 7 years it has a brown spot on the side. Does anyone know what sized baffle it has?

Last edited by utrvp; 05-08-2014 at 01:25 PM.