Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

O2 sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:03 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 sensor removal

Beware:

When I tried to remove them from the stock headers, I stripped one out even after heating the bung up.
Had to order 2 new ones and the bike has just 220 miles on it since last Tuesday. I also ride a Standard on/off.
I really think that the sensors could be held in place by a cir-clip or some other fashion than to be screwed in.

Mike

Old 04-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: O2 sensor removal

What did you use to remove them with????

o2 socket, box wrench, combo wrench???

I have removed plenty of them, and yes, they are tight, but if you heat them up a bit at the bung, they come right out....

Old 04-30-2006, 01:24 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

22mm open end wrench. Maybe they were cross threaded from the factory.
Part # is 27683-06 incase someone needs to know.

Also I think my stock headers are now junk, I don't know if I can rethread them.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mikeurig

Also I think my stock headers are now junk, I don't know if I can rethread them.
Helicoil will fix that as good as new for about $10

Old 04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

I called 2 more dealers today looking for the O2 sensors. One had them on order after a mechanic stripped one like I did and other riders have been calling looking for them.
Another dealer said they didn't have any but were hearing of people having a difficult time getting them out and planned on ordering a few.

Pretty nice today so I'll have to take the bagger out, what a comfy ride but I want to ride my BoB.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They should be installed using some anti-seize compound. You won't have any problem removing them later if you use it.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

You can probably find them for less $$$$ if you go somewhere besides the dealership. Try Autozone. O2 sensors are the same for bikes and cars.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

I did pick up 2 2-wire ones and wired them up but the wife insists I wait for the HD sensors.
So as not to hear her whine about possibly voiding the warranty I'll wait. They should be here in a day or two.

I did start the bike and had no engine light come on so I know I could ride it but hey.

Part Bosch #12028 from Advanced Auto Parts store. They are a little longer in the body but the same length from the threads to the tip.
They were $22 each and Harley wants $88 for both.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

The Bosch sensor shouldn't void your warranty. A sensor is a sensor..... Yep, the price difference is no surprise. Most HD add-on parts are imported and made by the same companies overseas that make the other automotive parts. The big difference is.... the ones with the HD name on them usually cost a LOT more, and in many cases, are of lower quality. I only go to the dealers for nuts, bolts, and gaskets, and only if I can't find them anywhere else.

The old saying "ya get what ya pay for" doesn't apply to HD accessories or clothing.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spectrexx

The Bosch sensor shouldn't void your warranty. A sensor is a sensor..... Yep, the price difference is no surprise. Most HD add-on parts are imported and made by the same companies overseas that make the other automotive parts. The big difference is.... the ones with the HD name on them usually cost a LOT more, and in many cases, are of lower quality. I only go to the dealers for nuts, bolts, and gaskets, and only if I can't find them anywhere else.

The old saying "ya get what ya pay for" doesn't apply to HD accessories or clothing.

i dont know, their jackets are usually a MM thicker then other jackets

Quick Reply: O2 sensor removal