Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Doing it on my own...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 12:27 AM
Kbore
Road Master

....and a note on using Loctite; Shake it thouroughly. BLUE: put just a drop on smaller bolts (smaller than 1/4"), [I]lightl film/I] forcing it into 2 or 3 threads, full 360 degrees, leaving the first thread or two clean.

DONT coat all the threads or you will play hell removing them later. Bigger bolts can tolerate a little more thread locker; light film on 4 to 5 threads is suffucient on larger bolts. Installing the fastner will spread the threadlocker over more threads expecially if you glob it on thick, so dont glob it on thick. ALso keep your threadlockers in a baggie in the refrigerator or at coll room temperature, not in the tool box in the garage.

Loctite thread lockers cure when in the absence of air, between close fitting metal parts. Dont use Loctite on plastics- stress cracking might result and it will never cure.

Hats off to you for doing it yourself!

KB

Old 03-27-2009 | 08:51 AM
variablek
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
When puting exhaust back on and when putting spark plugs in use a little antisieze on the threads. They both live in a world of heat.

Good to know and will do....any particular brand?

Everyone...awesome advice! Thanks...Just an update I took the air cleaner off last night and got down to the throttle body...Problem was I couldnt get to the MAP sensor under the gas tank. I got a full tank of gas so I put everything back together and will go for a nice long ride this weekend and then attempt taking that tank off...

Kyle

edit: I am starting to realize I should just suck it up and take the tank and fender off....Still gotta figure out where to put the PCV!

Last edited by variablek; 03-27-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2009 | 07:40 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Well if you do pull the tank be careful. Expect to make a mess with the gas getting it out. Do it in a well ventelated place, best done outside. No smoking. You can blow yourself up or burn the house down.
The little disconnect for the gas under the tank is a quick disconnect type thing. Don't force or you will buy another.

Old 03-27-2009 | 10:20 PM
Kbore
Road Master

Originally Posted by variablek
Good to know and will do....any particular brand?
Autozone etc. sells a Permatex product in a $8 can or a $4 tube. The tube/ can is silver, and so is the anti sieze inside.

Old 03-28-2009 | 10:36 AM
variablek
|
Cruiser

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2009 | 05:44 PM
variablek
|
Cruiser

OK here is my update! Since you all helped me out soo darn much I am trying to take decent photos of this....

Well it took me all of 5 hours today just to install the AC.... (shakes head lol) Hopefully it's installed correctly...I had to lift the gas tank up...didnt fully take it off just stuck a towel under it so I could reach the top of the throttle body. Theres a little vacuum assembly I had to connect to the bottom of the MAP socket....anyways...

Enjoy! http://picasaweb.google.com/variable...hargerInstall#

Maybe tonight Ill get further on the exhaust...but for the life of me I cant find the clip for the rear O2 sensor....I know its under the oil tank but do I have to remove the tank because I really cant find it....?

Lastly I really dont know where to go with the PCV...Is it under the Oil Tank or under the battery? Im thinking Ima take out the battery and see if I can find anything that way....

Thanks again all!
Kyle

Old 03-28-2009 | 06:19 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

There's connectors for both O2 sensors under the seat. You should be able to trace the wire from the O2 sensor to the connector. It might help to pull the electrical caddy so you can see better in there. I believe once you pull the caddy you can sight the sensor through there. Use the wiring diagram in the service manual so you know what color wires you're looking for.

Old 03-28-2009 | 06:24 PM
variablek
|
Cruiser

Alrighty...thanks m8 will get on it....Yeah I was following the wire from the O2 sensor but it just runs up under the oil tank and I cant see it anymore....Will try what you suggested!

Old 03-28-2009 | 10:30 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Oh yeah, one of the differances between a dyna and softail. It's a pretty clear view on a dyna. They are both running to the ecm so one thing is trace the O2 wire you found back to where it split off the ecm cable. The other one likely splits off at the same point.

Old 03-28-2009 | 11:06 PM
variablek
|
Cruiser

perfect will follow the O2 sensors back to the ecm...that really helps a lot!

Gunny: I didnt actually pull the whole tank off...just the quick disconnect and the 2 bolts...then propped the tank up on a towel. I was able to get in there with that...the only thing is I am going to order a 2" tank lift and I wasent able to take the fuel crossover line off...I have no idea how to work those little clips that seat the hose on the nipple. Any advice would be great!

Thanks again!