Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

K&N air filter in stock housing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default K&N air filter in stock housing?

I have a 06 EG standard, with a carb. I have shimmed the needle and adjusted the idle mixture, she runs good.
Getting ready to put on a pair of V&H oval slip-ons. The local shop has a K&N (1499) air filter in stock. I would like to keep my stock air filter cover and run the K&N inside.
Will the K&N inside my stock air filter cover give me enough air for the slipons and carb changes or do I need to buy a entire performance air filter assembly like a Big Sucker, etc?

Thanks for your time,

Doug

Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N air filter in stock housing?

Hey Doug,
I have a very similar question. Instead of putting in a whole new air kit like the SE from Harley, the Big Sucker from Ness or now the RK-3909 from K&N, why not just replace the stock filer with a K&N?
I realize it may not get quite as much air as a kit, but if one isn't looking for the maximum performance from your bike, what's the difference? I'm more interested in making my bike run good with a new set of slip ons (V&H Ovals or Rineharts), a little increase in air flow and then maybe installing the SERT and having it dyno tuned. What it does for HP and torque is secondary.
George

Old 04-29-2006, 01:08 AM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

I have a K&N fitted to a stock twincam air filter box and the bike runs fine. If you are not looking for total performance I say go and try one, it will breath better than stock.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:54 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Put in the K&N and drill some holes in the back of the stock air box. Won't get you quite what a Stage 1 will but it will be better than just putting in a K&N filter.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-29-2006, 05:57 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Does anyone know the flow rates between Screamin Eagle, Big Sucker I, Big Sucker II, and K&N RK-3909

Old 04-30-2006, 11:59 AM
XL4me
Cruiser

I have a stock backing plate, that I got from ebay (for $5.00).
On an 05 Sporty, they have a snorkel on the bottom, I took a dremel
and cut the entire bottom 1/4 off and planning to put in a K&N.

There is an entire thread @ V-twin Forums, regarding a
"poor man's Screamin Eagle" Air Cleaner.

I am wondering will just be better to get a Ness, SE or some other aftermarket ??

Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am wondering will just be better to get a Ness, SE or some other aftermarket ??
My thoughts exactly. The K&N filter itself is $80. An entire performance AC is about $200. But I would like to keep the stock looks.
I think Ill try the filter only and do come "creative"cutting on the stock backplate.

Thanks guys, good "food for thought".

Doug

Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

I have a new SE Ultra. The backing plate on my bike comes with more holes in it than the stock plate on my Previous Road King Classic so I am assuming it is getting more air. That's why I'm leaning towards simply replacing the stock filter with a K&N.

I'm far from a motorcycle wrench but I have a question regarding the back plate. When I take off my air filter there is an opening going into the EFI system and engine. How does changing the back plate with a SE or Big Sucker allow more air if the opening is only so big to begin with? Or is the back plate, etc. on the SE Ultra different than on the 88's?

There are some fitment problems with the stock cover on the SE Ultras if you install the SE or Big Sucker. I want to retain the stock cover.

So if I just change the filter to a K&N, install a set of Rinehart slip ons, the Harley SERT and have the bike dyno tuned I may not get maximum performance but I am certainly going to have a better running and sounding bike. Right?

Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 AM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

The restriction is the opening size of the filter box, by having more holes in the backing plate you allow more air flow to the filter element thus allowing the engine to breath better.You state your backing plate has extra holes so yes you engine will perform slightly better.

ORIGINAL: Dakotazeb

I have a new SE Ultra. The backing plate on my bike comes with more holes in it than the stock plate on my Previous Road King Classic so I am assuming it is getting more air. That's why I'm leaning towards simply replacing the stock filter with a K&N.

I'm far from a motorcycle wrench but I have a question regarding the back plate. When I take off my air filter there is an opening going into the EFI system and engine. How does changing the back plate with a SE or Big Sucker allow more air if the opening is only so big to begin with? Or is the back plate, etc. on the SE Ultra different than on the 88's?

There are some fitment problems with the stock cover on the SE Ultras if you install the SE or Big Sucker. I want to retain the stock cover.

So if I just change the filter to a K&N, install a set of Rinehart slip ons, the Harley SERT and have the bike dyno tuned I may not get maximum performance but I am certainly going to have a better running and sounding bike. Right?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Where can I find a K&N that fits my stock '02 Ultra?

Quick Reply: K&N air filter in stock housing?