Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

advice on engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
JockWhisky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on engine upgrade

I’ve done quite a bit of searching various sites etc to decide on some engine mods for my 2001 FXSTI and I think I’m getting down to the short strokes. I could use a bit of help to finalize it.

I do two types of riding. I’ll put the OL on the back and we’ll toodle around the countryside (50 – 60 MPH roads). I weigh 175 and she’s a wee slip of a thing. We’ll also do the odd toy run or poker run. Once in a while I’ll have to light it up to keep her from falling asleep on the back although for the most part it’s an easy ride. I’ll also ride one up on day trips around home with friends.

The other is a road trip or two, just me. I have about 25 pounds of gear in a couple of small saddle bags. This could be any road ie side roads or interstates with long days and sustained high speed (75-80mph) and last for a week or more. Some trips are over 5000 miles

I’ll probably never hit 100 mph and if I do it will be for a couple of seconds passing someone.

Right now the engine is 88 inches with a SE air cleaner, SEII slash cut pipes, an ECU reflash by the MOCO and 40000 miles on the clock. I will probably keep it at 88 inches.

It’s time to get rid of the spring cam chain tensioners so I’ll either go with a gear drive or the new hydraulic tensioners depending on the crank run out. (I believe Bob Woods has a hydraulic setup with both inner and outer roller chains.). I’ll also replace the cam bearings with Torringtons.

I’ll get the heads ported, polished and probably milled to increase compression and have a compression release installed.. I am willing to go to 10:1 max but would like to stay around 9.5:1. I’m not sure when detonation becomes a problem with higher compression so if someone can help me I’d be grateful.

I want something with good roll on power on the hiway but I also like to have fun when I’m riding one up with friends.

I’m down to looking at four cams, Woods TW6 (.510 lift), Andrews 21, 26 or 37. I realize they are quite different but I don’t have enough experience to nail one down although I am leaning to the Woods.

I have access to a good performance shop with an excellent tuner.

Am I on the right track? Opinions on cam choice? Have I missed anything?

JW

Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jock,
Check out this web site. I'm sure you could find what you need.
www.head-quarters.com

Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have 40000 miles on her I would do a complete rebuild or at the least do the entire top end, stroke it out to a 95" and do a mild cams as you suggested. You won't have to do the head work to get the power you describe but what the heck, might as well while in there. The increase in cubes and mild cam will give you enough of a bump and you will behappy with it. It's a 2001 so it's carberated? If so, throw a mikuni on it as well. You can get a really well built one from Patrick's Racing and it makes a nice difference. For $2000 or so you can get that sucker up in the 90's for HP and TQ and it will stay quite reliable.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Woods-6 or HQ-500, I lean towards the Woods cam, very torquey cams.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have 40000 miles on her I would do a complete rebuild
Do a compression check. If it's good, don't worry about a thing.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Jock,
Check out this web site. I'm sure you could find what you need.
www.head-quarters.com
That's good advice.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Detonation is not inherently a problem, but, rather, a question of timing. You're going to need the bike tuned. Loading more air doesn't do anything good without more fuel. You're changing the VE of the engine so it needs to be recalibrated. Part of a dyno tune is setting the timing. Properly tuned it won't ping.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
JockWhisky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Lord 3 Canucks, 2 from BC and most of us crazy. Does it get any better. HPFATBOY Jarz will be doing the work. Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming

JW

Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JockWhisky
Good Lord 3 Canucks, 2 from BC and most of us crazy. Does it get any better. HPFATBOY Jarz will be doing the work. Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming

JW
2 from B.C.? Looks like we are both on the Island. That's 3.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 03-17-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Bob Wood 6 with 4* advance key, and the proper cylinder head modifications will do it.

Quick Reply: advice on engine upgrade