Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE 103 or 110 upgrade for my 09 Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:02 PM
Cycotic
|
Novice
Default SE 103 or 110 upgrade for my 09 Road Glide?

Ok, looking for a little advice, I know nothing about motors, I usually have HD do all my work and I am also novice to this website so I apologize if my answer is somewhere buried in this forum somewhere else but here is my question. I have a 2009 Road Glide, I want to upgrade to a screaming eagle 103 or 110 but have alot of mixed reviews on the 110, I live in Florida so of course a motor that runs hotter than it already does may create a problem as well but I also enjoy having more power so here is what I originally was going to do, please add suggestions to help guide my in a better configuration if what I have listed seems like not a good idea or something that may be just as fast for less.
1. Upgrade my pipes to Vance Hines Monster Oval Slip-Ons ($779.57)
2. Upgrade my intake to Sceamin Eagle Heavy Breather ($299.95)
3. Upgrade to Screamin Eagle 110ci Stage I kit ($1675.95)
extra parts & labor not included in those prices
What I want? I want pipes that will not restrict and give great flow but not wake the dead and not allow me to hear my radio but still throaty and loader than stock. More power, I like speed but I want my long term reliability too, I like my 09 and plan on keeping for a while since it will be the last of drastic changes for a while for HD. I get this done this week and it still is covered under HD warrenty, and I prefer that.
I have heard alot about different stages of 103 with certain cams are just as fast as the 110 etc and the 110 having problems with leakage etc. but most of the places I have read on the internet about these issues were old forum posts, alot has been changed for the 2009 touring models, alot of corrections for heat issues as well so not sure what would be a good route for me. well there it is, any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I like to do my homework before I dump a pile of cash into my ride.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:19 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cycotic
Ok, looking for a little advice, I know nothing about motors, I usually have HD do all my work and I am also novice to this website so I apologize if my answer is somewhere buried in this forum somewhere else but here is my question. I have a 2009 Road Glide, I want to upgrade to a screaming eagle 103 or 110 but have alot of mixed reviews on the 110, I live in Florida so of course a motor that runs hotter than it already does may create a problem as well but I also enjoy having more power so here is what I originally was going to do, please add suggestions to help guide my in a better configuration if what I have listed seems like not a good idea or something that may be just as fast for less.
1. Upgrade my pipes to Vance Hines Monster Oval Slip-Ons ($779.57)
2. Upgrade my intake to Sceamin Eagle Heavy Breather ($299.95)
3. Upgrade to Screamin Eagle 110ci Stage I kit ($1675.95)
extra parts & labor not included in those prices
What I want? I want pipes that will not restrict and give great flow but not wake the dead and not allow me to hear my radio but still throaty and loader than stock. More power, I like speed but I want my long term reliability too, I like my 09 and plan on keeping for a while since it will be the last of drastic changes for a while for HD. I get this done this week and it still is covered under HD warrenty, and I prefer that.
I have heard alot about different stages of 103 with certain cams are just as fast as the 110 etc and the 110 having problems with leakage etc. but most of the places I have read on the internet about these issues were old forum posts, alot has been changed for the 2009 touring models, alot of corrections for heat issues as well so not sure what would be a good route for me. well there it is, any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I like to do my homework before I dump a pile of cash into my ride.
I would go with the 103 or 113 but stay away from the 110. A 103 stage II or III will blow away a stage I 110. I just did mine and it's sweet. 103, SE 260 (.609) cams, 10.5.1 pistons, mild port, springs, rods and a SERT...

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:23 PM
Cycotic
|
Novice

Do I have to specify all that crap, such as what cams, the ratio, etc? or is that what is included in the 103 kit?

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:32 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cycotic
Do I have to specify all that crap, such as what cams, the ratio, etc? or is that what is included in the 103 kit?
The kit comes with cast flat top pistons and I changed mine to the 10.5.1 forged no charge. The cams that come withthe kit are SE 251's which are Ok but I like POWER not just a lil boost. In short, specify what you want and there should not be a charge for changing items. The SERT was another $450...roughly $2100 or so including Dyno runs.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:04 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Contact JD's cycleworks in pa. 1-610-297-0321 and ask him for DOC's phone number and let him do the build and tune it .... let him tell you what you need according to the way you ride
Doc is located near you with his abilities and how close you are to him you will have the best of both worlds.
Doc is the best tuner/builder around that i know of
G

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:19 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

do this -- that way you only have to do it once -- don't ask me how I know
Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
Contact JD's cycleworks in pa. 1-610-297-0321 and ask him for DOC's phone number and let him do the build and tune it .... let him tell you what you need according to the way you ride
Doc is located near you with his abilities and how close you are to him you will have the best of both worlds.
G

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:42 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

With the Bike being a new 09 I would try to stay with Harley build parts in order to keep the warranty somewhat in tact.

Last edited by cowboy1; 03-11-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2009 | 05:51 PM
txtec
Banned
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=SEDELUXE;4690135]Contact JD's cycleworks in pa. 1-610-297-0321 and ask him for DOC's phone number and let him do the build and tune it .... let him tell you what you need according to the way you ride
G[/QUOTE + 1,docs # is 352- 242 -9616

Old 03-11-2009 | 07:44 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

I am not an expert, just owned different bikes across 20+ years.

I just did the Stage II Harley 103 upgrade with the SE 255 Cams and the SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner (w K&N Filter)

Stock exhaust and remapped, since all Harley, but no tuner yet (Thinking about it)

It is louder than stock, but not too much. I want to avoid the legal hassle.

Definitely a noticeable increase in power while using a reliable build from what I have read on several forums.

I like it a lot.

Mike

Old 03-11-2009 | 08:19 PM
Cycotic
|
Novice

Thanks for all the advice, looks like not many of you agree on the 110, like expected most people tend to go with the 103 with bigger cam. Any input on if the engine runs any hotter than stock, I live in Florida so it is a major concern. Thanks.

Quick Reply: SE 103 or 110 upgrade for my 09 Road Glide?