Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE 103 or 110 upgrade for my 09 Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009 | 07:42 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer
Default I really knew what I wanted

Told my dealer to order the 103 kit w 255 cams and flat top pistons, pretty much the SE upgrade. He told me the 10.5 compression would create a potential hot start problem, require a manual compression release and tax the starter motor over time. My goal was more torque from 3000 to 4000 and a 10 year build with moco warrantee. I'm happy!

Old 03-17-2009 | 09:05 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

There are so many misconceptions out there that a high performance engine runs hot and has rideability issues.

Staying with an all HD build will NOT keep the factory warranty in place, only any warranty that the local dealer is willing to provide, meaning that if you break down three states away, you are out of luck.

Aftermarket builds will routinely blow away any equivalent HD build, if you are spending your hard earned money, why not get the most for your money.

For an example, check out Head Quarters http://www.head-quarters.com/index.html for their kit builds with all components specifically designed to work well together. Reliability, power and rideability al from an aftermarket build.

And, anyone that is telling you that a 10.5:1 build runs hot and is hard starting doesn't know what the hell they are doing - a well built, well tuned bike will run cooler than stock and be more reliable at times than stock.

Last edited by Dalton; 03-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2009 | 06:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cycotic
I tend to do alot of road trips around Florida (I am located outside of Daytona Beach). I basically want some more power (not of the line power so much as over 2000 rpm, I prefer to be at 30-40mph and be able to punch it and have instant power). I have noticed that the stage II 103 tends to favor power of the line rather than what I am looking for. While I am deciding on what to do, I went ahead and ordered my V&H Monster Ovals & SE Heavy Breather, I figured I will need to upgrade in intake & exhaust reguardless. A few friends told me an easy way to get what I am looking for is to simply upgrade the cam (not sure what size, cost etc, can anyone give info on that?). I noticed way too many complaints about the 110 and I am not looking for a crotch rocket, I want to keep my touring bike what it is designed for but just more power on 2000 rpm +.
Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Wiesco manufactures pistons that allow you to bore to a 107", if the 117" is not in the budget.
Combined with one of several Wood cams, head mods, and you'll have what you want.
Scott

Old 03-18-2009 | 06:31 AM
slack20
Tourer

listen to these guys and get a hold of DOC in florida you are right there.

Old 03-18-2009 | 09:47 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
Told my dealer to order the 103 kit w 255 cams and flat top pistons, pretty much the SE upgrade. He told me the 10.5 compression would create a potential hot start problem, require a manual compression release and tax the starter motor over time. My goal was more torque from 3000 to 4000 and a 10 year build with moco warrantee. I'm happy!
The potential for a hot start problem is really not an issue. If you have earlier than an 07, have them put either the compression releases that everyone talks about on the motor or ir get a smaller ring gear installed but if you have an 07 or later, it will start right up as mine does. Can I ask why the flat top pistons when for the same cost you can get the SE forged which is a much better piston?

Old 03-18-2009 | 05:15 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer

Cowboy, it's an 09 w 110 miles on it. I know the owner of the dealership and BTW he's a straight shooter. Never more than msrp and sometimes discounts. His mech, 24 years old and a grad of the MC school in AZ with 4 years experience, advised against the 10.5 for the hard start issue and against the 260 cams because I'll not be winding it up, short shift mostly. I used to race a Porsche and '67 GT350 so I'm a motorhead and have dealt with my share of finicky machines, I want this bike to be "fool" proof. Usually I would think a young guy with racing experience would seduce me to the higher compression pistons if they were truly something I would like over the long run. In the course of the conversaton he told me the kit with cams and flat top pistons would be warranteed as if a new HD engine; however, the high comp pistons were considered "Race Only" by the moco and would not be warranteeable. That did it for me. Your thoughts?
The kit arrives tomorrow.

Last edited by mtnbikerx; 03-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2009 | 10:29 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

tell him you want it in writing that if it breaks and you are broke down some where that it is covered .
if he puts it in writing thats cool but i dont think he will.
the se build will be ok. it seems that is what ya want.
i mean most of us understand we have been ther and just tryin to help .
G

Old 03-19-2009 | 05:38 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member

I think for what you want you will get. You ride the bike not a sheet of paper. Good luck to you. I have 11k on the build and it works for me.

Old 03-19-2009 | 09:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Dalton said it. Why I went aftermarket.
HD says it plain in their literture. Past a certain point, which you hit fast, no warraty. Just local words.

Old 03-19-2009 | 10:24 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Cowboy, it's an 09 w 110 miles on it. I know the owner of the dealership and BTW he's a straight shooter. Never more than msrp and sometimes discounts. His mech, 24 years old and a grad of the MC school in AZ with 4 years experience, advised against the 10.5 for the hard start issue and against the 260 cams because I'll not be winding it up, short shift mostly. I used to race a Porsche and '67 GT350 so I'm a motorhead and have dealt with my share of finicky machines, I want this bike to be "fool" proof. Usually I would think a young guy with racing experience would seduce me to the higher compression pistons if they were truly something I would like over the long run. In the course of the conversaton he told me the kit with cams and flat top pistons would be warranteed as if a new HD engine; however, the high comp pistons were considered "Race Only" by the moco and would not be warranteeable. That did it for me. Your thoughts?
The kit arrives tomorrow.
Sounds like he may be right for your situation. If you are a short shifter then the cams will not be right for you and I would consider the 255 or 251 that comes with the kit. As for the compression I disagree but the 9.3.1 will be good enough for what you seek. The bike should be solid and run great and give you the power you need.

Quick Reply: SE 103 or 110 upgrade for my 09 Road Glide?