Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Drop in Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drop in Cams

I wanted a simple bump in HP/TQ without going too deep. The first person I talked to told me I needed more compression for the TW6-6 and my pipes sucked [V/H Sideshots]. The second one told me I needed a new camplate and geardrive. If I start changing pistons for comp. and a new camplate I might as well pull the crank and have it worked,I have low miles and I don't want to do that. I plan on changing my pulley from 32T to 30T and I'm thinking about the BCT QQ Baffles. My bike is an 08 FXDF with Sideshots, free flowing breather and T-Max W/auto tune. The cams I'm interested in are the Woods TW6-6. Andrews 26/37 and the HQ 500. I would like some input from the builders here, Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your bike, and what has been done to it so far?

Steve

Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Woods tw-6-6 is a drop in cam. Probably needs a little more spring but you would need to check. Beautiful spects and lift is 0.510. Use the same cam plate and same roller chaines. Quicky pushrods. You will notice a real boost for sure.
I use the same roller chaines with my 7H and would use them for even higher at least to 0.600 lift.
If you have taken real good care of the oil changing and such and have low miles like you say maybe even don't need to change the cam bearings, though nobody will recommend that, if they do the work. Pretty easy to do yourself though.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 03-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Mighty tough to beat a Wood 6 with a 4 degree advance gear.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I have 2,850 miles on the bike. I work as an engineer on a large boat, so I know how to wrench I'm just new to HD's,I just sold my Ninja and I'm ready to focus on my FatBob. Looks like the TW6 and the 4 deg. advance for me. Now who has the best deal on the parts?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are dealers around I think, but I just called Woods Performance and actually talked to Bob Woods. He has everything you need. He loves to go fast and he is a good guy but, and so, he will try and sell all kinds of good stuff but if you just get these things you will be pleased. Just say NO.

Now, if you have a reliable air compressor, and an, on vehical, spring compressor you can use the air compressor to force the valve to hold closed and change springs. Reliable because if in the middle of this operation you loose air pressure you will drop a valve into the jug, with will make a grown man or woman cry. If you can lock the engine at TDC the valve won't fall far. A primary sproket lock can do this.

BE CAREFUL because the air pressure will force the piston down and move the cycle and or crank it around. Must restrain this or you can tear something up.
If in nutral will move the primary sprokets and chaines. So think about everything.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 03-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul s
I have 2,850 miles on the bike. I work as an engineer on a large boat, so I know how to wrench I'm just new to HD's,I just sold my Ninja and I'm ready to focus on my FatBob. Looks like the TW6 and the 4 deg. advance for me. Now who has the best deal on the parts?
I don't know who gives the best deal, but I know Bob Wood sells at list price. Try calling Hillside...

Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott at Hillside told me they did not discount woods cams.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm thinking about the 26 again, I spend more time in the low R's and when I called BCT about what I lose in my upper RPM's with their baffles I was told at about 5,200 I would lose a few ponies and that's where the 26 stops putting out. When I add the advanced gear and valve springs and the higher price of the TW6 I think the 26 is a better deal for me. I'm not looking to build a racebike, I just want to pick it up a notch. I'm new to Harleys so I welcome any input and would like to say Thank You for the help.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

The Woods website has the TW6-6 listed as a drop in and list stock springs as good to go, would I be pushing my limit with factory springs?

Quick Reply: Drop in Cams