Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cam Project- Cut the Pushrods question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009 | 04:56 PM
Kbore
|
Road Master
Question Cam Project- Cut the Pushrods question

Cams on order – cut the push rods?

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Andrews 26’s for the bagger. I’ve never installed cams on an MC and I wanted to get some feedback. I’m gonna buy the parts I need one paycheck at a time.

I can cut the push rods and spend $150 on pushrods and tubes to avoid removing the tank and heads. Or I can remove the tank and heads and spend that money on .030 head gaskets. How much real work does it really save?

Andrews says All Andrews production TC 88 cams are made with stock size
lobe base circles so my stock pushrods will be the correct length.

And unless you’re the Devil himself, please don’t tell me I might as well install 96” heads, forged pistons, Baisley Heads and a new clutch kit. Thats a trip down money pit hell and I’ve decided - cams is all I need.

How much time (and oh *** factor) does it really save to cut the stock push rods and install new tubes and adjust new push rods?? This would apply too if I decide to go Inde and have it done at the shop..

Old 03-01-2009 | 05:21 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser

If it were me, I would not buy the adjustables and go through the top end. H-D has a cam service kit that has all of the required gaskets to go at it from the top. Cost of the kit was about $75 in December. You will make a little mess with the gas when you take off the gas tank. Later, Calvin.

Old 03-01-2009 | 05:29 PM
txtec
Banned

first time i changed cams in mine i cut the pushrods,took about three hours. pulled the heads for the 95 kit ,all day probably 8 hours. no way i"d pull the heads on a 88 to change gaskets without making it a 95.

Old 03-01-2009 | 05:41 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Just the cost of a pair of bolt cutters if you do it yourself.

Also consider if you are going with a thinner head gasket if you were to go the other way, your stock length pushrods might be too long.

Old 03-01-2009 | 06:07 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

just 18" bolt cutters work great and they are cheap at OSH & Sears.

but if you do change head gaskets, your squish will be set better (.030), and your pushrods will be a little tighter, which is how you'll probably wind up adjusting the adjustables.

if you have the time and patience, change the head gasket. if not (I didn't), use quick install adjustables.

Old 03-01-2009 | 06:32 PM
mafosa
Cruiser

i cut mine.. the 150 or so if worth it. time savings and future projects in there. go to zanotti there cheaper there for the scremin eagle ones. they come with the gaskets and shorter tubes.
im putting a SE billet plate this sat. so now all have to do is back off the push rods and reuse them.
like eveyone says, changing the gasket thickness and motor slop can be of set with the adjustable push rods. (just a shady garage mech.) good luck.
larry

Old 03-01-2009 | 06:53 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Just cut'um and be done with it, and leave the top end alone. You pull the heads and the bottom end apart too, and you're 75% down the money pit hell road.

Old 03-01-2009 | 06:59 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Did not cut mine, reused the stock. At the time of the cam install I had wished I bought adjustables although I needed to pull the tank anyway to run some wiring underneath it. Now that the cam install is done I am happy with saving a few $$, not having to think about adj's coming loose or rubbing. And, you do not have to pull the heads to remove push rods. Remove tank, valve covers, rocker arms and loosen breather assembly.

imo - installing a .03 gasket is not worth your time or money or the risk loosening the jug seal and having to pull the jugs and deal with the pistons rings or the risk of pulling a stud out or something.... You will not feel the diff, a dyno tune may show a small increase - not worth it...

Like was mentioned, if you pull the heads you may as well do something real like BB kit or mill the heads for increased compression.

Last edited by KumaRide; 03-01-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 07:05 PM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser

You don't have to remove the heads, just the rockers. I just put a SE 204 in my 01 Ultra. I reused the stock pushrods. Part of my project was to replace the front rocker covers anyway so it made sense. It wasn't that big a deal to remove the covers and rockers.

Tim

Old 03-01-2009 | 08:05 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

make sure you get quick install push rods this way you dont have to remove the lifter blocks.......

Quick Reply: Cam Project- Cut the Pushrods question