Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Headwork?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Headwork?

Gentlemen, I've got a simple question. Let me give you some back story. I ride an 07 WG with the TC96. I'm in search of more power and like a lot of us, my bank account just doesn't allow me to throw a lot of cash at whatever mod hits me at the moment.

I'm running some old SEII slip-ons. I fell in love with a set of Thunderheaders while I was at MB bike week 2008. I knew going to a 2-1 exhaust would get me a little more power. I recently ordered a set and they're on their way. Yay me.

Well, then I came across a fair deal on a used set of Woods TW-6-6 cams. I know these work well in more or less stock 96's.

Now my question.

I've been contemplating doing a little headwork to bump compression a bit and to get the heads flowing a little better. With this combo, is it monetarily worth the gains I'll get doing the headwork?

Some have suggested waiting on the headwork for the future when I decide to start bumping the engine size into triple digits, and that cam would work great in that motor without the added expense of headwork.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
99embrey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could wait to do the headwork until you could do a big bore kit i.e. 103 or 107. That way you would only have to do 1 teardown/rebuild. Would save money in the long run. For now, you could just install the cams with the 4 degree advance to help the compression out a little. Just my .02

Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Why would I need the 4 degree advance? I've never built an engine before so...I understand the basics of it.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

The advance gear alters the cam specs to make it act like a smaller cam. Thats not a bad idea, but being you have a 96 ci motor and a dyna, maybe just throw the cams in now. Should react nice. But................ You should really save up and do it all at once. Because you will be needed tunes every change and new gaskets.

If it were me or a customer of mine, i would see if i could scrap up enough money together and do the cams/heads/tune and be done for a while. Going to 103/107 would be nice, but if not in the budget i think you would gain more with the heads.
just speak to you head porter to allow for the ci bump in the future.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Hi SC Longhair,

I hear what you are saying about bank accounts and mods. Here is a little reading for you about a DIY port job: http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx . You don't need their kits to do the job but you can make your own tools. Warning Will Robinson, danger! Once you start a port job, a lot of head porters will NOT re do someone else's work. Your heads should handle your plan as is well enough for a street bike.

If nothing else, that site will help you understand what is involved in a mild clean up port job.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Ok, do I actually spoke to Beans at BigBoys yesterday about doing some headwork. I have to say he was extremely helpful in explaining the benefits of doing the work. He was straight up and more or less to the point. I like that. He didn't seem like someone who would yank your chain.

He explained getting the motor breathing better is one of the most important things you can do.

As far as cost, it's pretty reasonable. For port, cc the chamber, and mill the deck is $395+shipping. I've checked other places and they start at $500 and go up from there. For the cams I've chosen and my riding style, Beans said bumping the compression to around 9.8 would really help that cam out. He said 10+ would be better but for a stock motor high 9's would help out quite a bit.

He said they have a lead time of about 3.5 weeks at this point, late february 09. In the research I've done, seems like they do a good job there.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 AM
new_mentor70
Tourer

ive had nothing but good advice and help from big boys, eventhough by budget at the time alowed me to do a full HQ kit.

I wouldnt have any hesitation having BBs clean up a set of heads for me.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Last week when I spoke to BigBoyz, I also spoke to Bob Wood. He was extremely short. The 4* advance is $125. Headwork is $395+shipping from BigBoyz. On price the choice is obvious.

I've been contemplating buying a set of take-off heads, get them worked then I can slap 'em on.

There seems to be an abundance of 06 heads. Are they the same specs as the 07+?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Jimi B
5th Gear

I had the heads done on my '04 88in in '05. Best move i've made in terms of performance. Had a buddy who's a very good engine builder do the machine work total cost was if I remember right $150. But I guess it pays to know the right people. Did all other work myself. With a Mikuni 42 mil. carb, Vance+Hines exhaust, Headworks .585 lift gear drive cams, with TP Engineering roller rockers. Twin Tec adjustible ignition. I'm very happy with the performance. When it was stock 88in it was pathetic my old 74in shovel was way way better off the line now the Sceaming Eagle 103in can't ever come close which really gets some of my buddy's P.O. at me. Point is those factory heads can really perform with a little work. Almost forgot 10.5 Screaming Eagle pistons.

Last edited by Jimi B; 03-01-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: forgot one important part of the engine fix up
Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jimi B
I had the heads done on my '04 88in in '05. Best move i've made in terms of performance. Had a buddy who's a very good engine builder do the machine work total cost was if I remember right $150. But I guess it pays to know the right people. Did all other work myself. With a Mikuni 42 mil. carb, Vance+Hines exhaust, Headworks .585 lift gear drive cams, with TP Engineering roller rockers. Twin Tec adjustible ignition. I'm very happy with the performance. When it was stock 88in it was pathetic my old 74in shovel was way way better off the line now the Sceaming Eagle 103in can't ever come close which really gets some of my buddy's P.O. at me. Point is those factory heads can really perform with a little work. Almost forgot 10.5 Screaming Eagle pistons.
I'm with you on that but my latest question is how different are the 99-06 heads than the 07+ heads? I'm trying to minimize downtime at this point and if I can pick up a set of heads cheap then send them out while I still get to ride, more power to me.

There are a lot of the 06 88" heads on ebay that I could probably buy at a fair price. If I sent my heads out now, I'd be down for close to a month which would cut into my riding season.

Quick Reply: Headwork?