Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Headwork?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Jimi B
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 heads

Your right I forgot that the later twin cam heads are different. I would think they must be available cause we can't seem to leave things alone so someone must have take off heads somewhere. Dumb ? but did you check out Ebay? I looked into Screaming Eagle heads from HD but being a poor impoverished trucker with child support payments they were way beyond my means so I went on the road for a week and my heads were done and ready when I got home but I had them done locally which I believe is not an option for you. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Jim I completely appreciate your input but if you re-read my last post you'll see where I wrote "there are plenty of 06 take-offs available on ebay.".

My question is: are the 06 88" heads the same as the 07 96" heads??????

Old 03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

SC let me say that you get what ya pay for, as far as headwork goes, not puttting anyones work down but it's like buying a car, buy a $300 car compared to a $3000 car, now that might be a little extreme but I hope that might get ya thinking a bit, 06 heads are pretty good by themselfs for a minor build, I have been through this and if I had to do it all over again I would have gone a different route other than a minor port job, I'm just say'n.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
SC let me say that you get what ya pay for, as far as headwork goes, not puttting anyones work down but it's like buying a car, buy a $300 car compared to a $3000 car, now that might be a little extreme but I hope that might get ya thinking a bit, 06 heads are pretty good by themselfs for a minor build, I have been through this and if I had to do it all over again I would have gone a different route other than a minor port job, I'm just say'n.
I'm with ya but money is a serious issue. I'm just tryin to get my 96" performing a little better with the addition of some cams (tw6-6) and 2-1 exhaust (thunderheader).

The reason I'm bringing up the 06 heads is because A) they are aplenty on ebay and I could buy a set, send them out for whatever headwork is necessary while I do the cam/pipe swap, minimizing my downtime. I know Bean at Bigboyz said they have about a 3.5wk backlog right now. So it would be over a month with shipping to and from before I got 'em back.

No way I can afford new heads or a big bore kit at this time.

I've read multiple posts here and on other forums about BigBoyz. Prices seem decent too. My local indy wants to send the heads to Tman Performance which is not far from me in NC. I had contacted my indy about this swap since I lack any sort of workspace in my current living situation or I would do it myself. Would ya do a cam swap out in the yard where the predominant debris is sand? I didn't think so.

I'm not looking to build a dyno-drag bike or a torque-monster.

When I started this thread it was more to find out from people who had similar setups and whether it was worth the cost to work the stock heads or not.

I'm getting quite a few suggestions that equal spending cash I don't have. Now, if y'all want to donate to the cause, I have a paypal account.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Ask the guy doing the headwork if the 06 heads will work in place of the 07's!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 06 and 07 heads are the same. The twin cam heads through 04 were one thing. The 05 heads are supposedly the worst of the factory heads, but porters like them because they have plenty of "meat" to work with. The 06 and up heads flow better than previous year heads when they are just stock. This means that 06 and up stock heads flow better than 05 and down heads when they are just factory stock. Just because Bean doesn't charge as much as some people, doesn't mean his work is not good. I personally would ditch the +4 degree idea. You should have enough displacement in your present condition to take adavantage of those cams. If I were truely serious about needing the +4, I would change to a different set of cams. You appear to already have the cams and have the Thunder Header on the way. If money is tight, I would not send my heads off. A big bore and cam swap can be done cheap if you play your cards right; trust me I know. Hope this helps answer your head questions.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Crazycalvin
The 06 and 07 heads are the same. The twin cam heads through 04 were one thing. The 05 heads are supposedly the worst of the factory heads, but porters like them because they have plenty of "meat" to work with. The 06 and up heads flow better than previous year heads when they are just stock. This means that 06 and up stock heads flow better than 05 and down heads when they are just factory stock. Just because Bean doesn't charge as much as some people, doesn't mean his work is not good. I personally would ditch the +4 degree idea. You should have enough displacement in your present condition to take adavantage of those cams. If I were truely serious about needing the +4, I would change to a different set of cams. You appear to already have the cams and have the Thunder Header on the way. If money is tight, I would not send my heads off. A big bore and cam swap can be done cheap if you play your cards right; trust me I know. Hope this helps answer your head questions.
First, THANK YOU for that info.

Secondly, I think you're saying is don't spend the money on the headwork, right? I do have plans to go big bore but at this time it's not an option. Also, you're saying to just do the cams and the pipes and enjoy? The pipes arrived last thursday.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see someone chimed in while I was eating dinner.
I too think cams and TH is the way to go. A set of adjustable pushrods is all you need to change the cams without taking off the heads.

I bought a set of adj pushrods from Chicago HD for about 20% less than the dealer here sells them. Rivera and Primo make excellent pushrods if you want to shop for a good price.

Labor costs should be 4 hrs or less for the cam swap and if you already have a race tuner a canned map will get you rolling.

Last edited by sniper77; 03-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

It's awright. I'm just gonna do what I can now and enjoy it. Headwork would be nice but it's just a bit out of my budget, even at BigBoyz prices.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
First, THANK YOU for that info.

Secondly, I think you're saying is don't spend the money on the headwork, right? I do have plans to go big bore but at this time it's not an option. Also, you're saying to just do the cams and the pipes and enjoy? The pipes arrived last thursday.
If it was going to be quite a while before I had the money for big bore kit, I would do cams and pipe swap now since I have those parts and do big bore and heads later. You might be surprised on how well it runs after the cams and pipe swap. I myself spent six months accumulating my parts for my own big bore and cams. Later, Calvin.