Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Correcting Gear Drive lash

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
jjkuhnjr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correcting Gear Drive lash

Greetings.

I'm currently working on a mild upgrade for an '01 TC88 Bagger. I've collected a pile of parts that are either slightly used or from abandoned projects including TW21G and TW26G cams and a set of gears (I'm leaning toward the TW21G partly for the smooth low end grunt, and partly because the 26G will sell easier)

In putting together the cam chest, the cam gears showed NO measurable lash in all four quadrants, and actually have an ever-so-slight drag in a 1-2 tooth section. When in the engine, they spin freely but will hesitate or stop at the aforementioned point. Fine, an undersized rear cam gear can take care of that if necessary.

Now I put the pinion gear on, only to find...NO measurable lash. No binding, but no lash. Ok, now we're up to 2 hundred bucks with the undersized pinion.

So I get to thinking, "It's gotta be the sloppy tolerances in the cam plate. Would another plate offer a difference ?". I could try the used cam plate lottery (ebay ?) and hope to get lucky with another one. And the cost of a Feuling plate isn't much more than the price of the 2 new gears (and I can do the Feuling pump that I was thinking about). Is this overkill for such a mild build ? So many choices...

If anyone has ideas, or preferences, I'd love to hear 'em. Or if you have undersized gears you're looking to part with, PM me.

Last edited by jjkuhnjr; 02-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
LJN
Stage II

You could also check into the Delkron support plate. Not as pretty as the red anodized Feuling, but will probably fix what ails ya. Supposed to frovide better oil distribution than stock too. I haven't used one yet, but I'm eyeing one up.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out the new SE cam plates. They have them for older and also newer TC.
Chargo HD has 20% off til 3-1-09. no tax. Looks a good thing.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
LJN
Stage II

Gunny, Thanks for the education. The SE cam plate and oil pump upgrade looks like a nice unit. Now I am reconsidering which one I'm going with.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkuhnjr
Greetings.

I'm currently working on a mild upgrade for an '01 TC88 Bagger. I've collected a pile of parts that are either slightly used or from abandoned projects including TW21G and TW26G cams and a set of gears (I'm leaning toward the TW21G partly for the smooth low end grunt, and partly because the 26G will sell easier)

In putting together the cam chest, the cam gears showed NO measurable lash in all four quadrants, and actually have an ever-so-slight drag in a 1-2 tooth section. When in the engine, they spin freely but will hesitate or stop at the aforementioned point. Fine, an undersized rear cam gear can take care of that if necessary.

Now I put the pinion gear on, only to find...NO measurable lash. No binding, but no lash. Ok, now we're up to 2 hundred bucks with the undersized pinion.

So I get to thinking, "It's gotta be the sloppy tolerances in the cam plate. Would another plate offer a difference ?". I could try the used cam plate lottery (ebay ?) and hope to get lucky with another one. And the cost of a Feuling plate isn't much more than the price of the 2 new gears (and I can do the Feuling pump that I was thinking about). Is this overkill for such a mild build ? So many choices...

If anyone has ideas, or preferences, I'd love to hear 'em. Or if you have undersized gears you're looking to part with, PM me.
I can't find a better cam plate than the R&R $250.00 unit for gear drive cams, very good quality, wisper quiet in my Dyna. Must use an 07 pump with this plate.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
jjkuhnjr
Novice

Well, here's an interesting twist...

Before committing to shelling out a few hundred bucks for a new cam plate and improved oil pump, there seemed to be one more thing that could be checked. Since it's been fairly cold recently (20-25F) it seemed a good idea to warm everyting up a bit and recheck.

After an hour or so in front of the space heater, much to my surprise, suddenly there was a bit o' lash in the gears. About 0.0005 inches between the cam gears, and the same at the pinion gear. Apparently, the aluminum plate expanded enough from low 20s to 70F to create the necessary gear lash. So it seems my cam plate is OK after all, unless I ride in Siberian winter weather.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm still going to consider either the Feuling, Delkron, R&R or Screamin Eagle Plate with an 07+ pump for extra bottom end insurance.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

Did you install new ball bearings in the cam plate ( both ). Gear drive cams won't work with the stock roller bearings. You need ball bearings for both in the cam plate.

Stroker

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
jjkuhnjr
Novice

Yep, the bearings are new. Came with the Andrews installation kit. Nachi, I believe.