Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Beginners Exhaust Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 AM
abqjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginners Exhaust Question...

OK, after all the serious in depth discussion about exhaust systems, performance mods and the like, this question comes from one who is clueless about the more basic issues of the STOCK Harley exhaust system. I am speaking about a stock 2005 Ultra Classic here guys, and I'm looking for straight answers.

Why does the rear cyclinder split and go to both mufflers and the front cylinder go only to the right side? Doesn't this make for some sort of imbalance in the entire exhaust system? Is this the reason so many of you change out the pipes and mufflers?

Serious answers only, please. I'm trying to get educated; not flamed.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
tripl8
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginners Exhaust Question...

Harley wants to balance back pressure..but its not neccessarily correct...True duals are a much better way to do it...where that pipe forms a Y..itll crack on ya anyway.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

where that pipe forms a Y..itll crack on ya anyway.
Never heard of a crack at the crossover.

The crossover is intended to allow the pressure to escape the rear cylinder at the same rate as the front cylinder similar to an "H" pipe in dual exhaust on a cage. The MAIN reason for using the "True Dual" type of exhaust is the looks and the difference in sound you get when you have each cylinder firing into it's own exhaust. The downside is, IMHO, most "dual" exhaust systems have a flat spot in the tourqe curve right about where a bagger cruises. If you want performance the 2 into 1 pipes seem to have the advantage over 2 into 2 systems. Most exhaust changes are all about looks and sound. my .02 cents.[&:]

Old 04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on many posts from those that seem to know (and a few that don't), I tend to agree with the theory behind the crossover. I think a lot of research and engineering has gone into it. I believe that it would be less expensive for HD to go with true duals IF they provided better performance. A fellow rider, however, did have the experience of the crossover pipe cracking right at the "Y" on his RK Classic, so it is apparently not unheard of. I'm also considering the V&H true duals to go with my Ovals for the look and sound, accepting the potential fall-off in performance.

-vic
2006 RK Classic

Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been a tru dual and straight pipe man, However, after much contemplation and a lot of help from the forum, I went with a v&H 2-1 pro pipe. I can't afford the dyno and all of that, but I got a real good seat of the pants performance gain and an awesome sound. A 2-1 is not the most common exhaust you will see on a bagger, so it usually gets some good looks from other bikers.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always been a tru dual and straight pipe man, However, after much contemplation and a lot of help from the forum, I went with a v&H 2-1 pro pipe. I can't afford the dyno and all of that, but I got a real good seat of the pants performance gain and an awesome sound. A 2-1 is not the most common exhaust you will see on a bagger, so it usually gets some good looks from other bikers.
I like the look of your bagger. That is a sweet ride. I'll bet it sounds good too.[8D]