Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Road King Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 02:42 PM
rkoko164
|
Cruiser
Default Road King Exhaust

I bought a couple of sets of new stock muffs off ebay (cheap $25-35) to X-periment with. Plus one set of Kerker slip-ons. It's hard to get the perfect sound and loudness w/o undesirable side effects (decell pop or pop between shifts). One thing I noticed is w/the all stock setup there is plenty of decell popping but, it's deep within the mufflers and doesn't quite make it to the end of the mufflers, listen hard during a decell down a grade in 2nd or 3rd gear w/the rpm's up a little and you will hear it. As soon as I put the Kerkers on (straight thru design, fiberglass wrapped) I got a lot of noticable decell popping, w/the stock A/C and no fuel change. Adding a DFO helped eliminate some of the popping, also put on a Big Sucker to complete the package. I went to V&H true duals which did the most for cutting down on decell popping. I'm told the left pipe on touring models introduces air into the exhaust through the crossover causing the popping. W/true duals and quiet mufflers I now have a irratic whistle sound coming out of the left pipe only at idle, I read it's kind of a common problem?? W/louder mufflers you probably wouldn't hear it. What I ended up with:

05 Road King Classic
Big Sucker
DFO
True duals (more balanced sound, no hot right leg any more, lost a couple lbs of torque)
Stock Mufflers w/front baffle knocked out, rear baffle not modified. (louder during accelleration, NO decell popping....95% of the time)

Wish the pipes were a little louder, thinking of going to V&H Ovals (any comments?)