Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

yet another true dual question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yet another true dual question

Have an 05 RKC with stage 1, SE slip-ons, and a TFI. Am wanting to go with true duals. Probably BUB, as they have the O2 sensor bung, which will allow me to keep the SE slip-ons, and I can add the Terry II later. The questions are: will I need dyno time after I put on the true duals?; will I need to re-dial the TFI?; is cutting the crossover pipe and installing plugs in any way a viable route to true duals?

Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: yet another true dual question

I would recommend the SERT or PCIII for tuning. The True Duals really open up the bike and the download will not work at all. The SERT will allow you to really tweak your AFR and seperately tune each cylinder. I'm not familiar with the Terry II (even though they named it after me). I would not consider cutting and plugging your stock exhaust.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Terry components II is the closed loop add on for the efi and is fairly new on the market
The local dealer charges 7 hrs. labor (@$60/hr.) for the SERT install plus the part.
Are you of the opinion that the TFI is out dated? (of cousrse it is, I just installed it 6 weeks ago!).

Old 04-19-2006, 11:33 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

7 HRS to DYNO?!?!?!?!

He is ripping you off BIG TIME!!!

2-3 hrs at most unless he's is incompetent when it comes to using a SERT or PCIII.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: ricoman

The Terry components II is the closed loop add on for the efi and is fairly new on the market
The local dealer charges 7 hrs. labor (@$60/hr.) for the SERT install plus the part.
Are you of the opinion that the TFI is out dated? (of cousrse it is, I just installed it 6 weeks ago!).
No more than 3 hrs tops. The SERT installs in minutes. The time factor involves the dyno tuning. I'm sure a qualified dyno tech can get it done MUCH cheaper and faster than 7 hrs.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:53 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is hard to put a TIME limit on dynoing tuning. Unless you are yourself a tuner , ?? The the tuning can take a few hours of more sometimes a pipe combo can give you trouble a IAC that is out of syc, Missed matched items, . Setting up IGN tables, CRUISE TABLES, and the WOT all of this can take time to get them all right. Most dealers chrage a flat rate for a tune. I see 250 -350 for a map. At a rate of 60-80 a hour you are at 4-6 hours. As you cannot just KEEP running the bike non stop the bike gets hot the brake on the dyno will get hot under the cruise pulls so time gets used up as thing cool. Plus then taking the bike for a test ride to ensure you are tuned just because thebike is good on the dyno you my find that under normal riding you will have to make small alterations. You have to tune each cylinder yes some of it is done on the front cylinder tune but you still have to make data mode runs as well to ensure timing is correct, afr on front and rear. Not to mention that you are trying to get the max numbers from the bike you are tuning so that means you are going to be trying several different afr levels to see what is working then go back and re adjust timing.