Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?

I just spent an hour perusing a few builders websites and see that there are still a couple shops offering 107" cylinders using Mellenium & Revolution Performance products? They clearly state these are Nikasil Lined cylinders and I don't understand why are these cylinders still being offered by builders after so many had failed in the past couple years?

Can someone explain if the problems with Nikasil have been cured?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 161 Posts

I think it was only the 98" that were having problems. Know of a couple 114" that have no problems.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Nikasil has been proved to have failed in various motorcycle cylinders, airplane engines, and snowmobile engines. Just do a search on Nikasil Cylinder Failures, and Millenium Cylinder Failures and you wil quickly see. Both brands above are from RevPerf and I was also burned with their 107 cylinders. Never again!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nikasil is the state of the art in cylinders. I think ECI would not have gotten their aircraft cylinders certified if it was crap. Been around for years. The downfall is more than likely with the cylinder design of aluminum in this case for Harleys . Most steel cyls plated with nikasil are outstanding for wear resistance and almost sieze proof. The Yamaha Raider 113" comes from the factory with it and no problems. When done right, it don't get any better.
There's the problem and until they do get it right so it's an idiot proof instal, I'll stay with the tried and true method for the Harley.
Ron

Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Nikasil is the state of the art in cylinders. I think ECI would not have gotten their aircraft cylinders certified if it was crap. Been around for years. The downfall is more than likely with the cylinder design of aluminum in this case for Harleys . Most steel cyls plated with nikasil are outstanding for wear resistance and almost sieze proof. The Yamaha Raider 113" comes from the factory with it and no problems. When done right, it don't get any better.
There's the problem and until they do get it right so it's an idiot proof instal, I'll stay with the tried and true method for the Harley.
Ron
I have no practical experience with the Nikasil but have heard there was a generation one and now generation 2.

BTW, the Yamaha Raider, I did a rollon, two up against my bud that bought one late summer and just absolutely smoked it. Pulled away so fast I thought he was gonna step off to see if his bike was still running.

Wife did smack me a couple of times in the back of the head, but it was fun!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
I have no practical experience with the Nikasil but have heard there was a generation one and now generation 2.

BTW, the Yamaha Raider, I did a rollon, two up against my bud that bought one late summer and just absolutely smoked it. Pulled away so fast I thought he was gonna step off to see if his bike was still running.

Wife did smack me a couple of times in the back of the head, but it was fun!
Interesting. I have a bud with one also. Can't smoke him with the 96" but the 113 will fix his little red wagon. Box stock, the raider 113 is a nice piece of work regardless.
Ron

Old 02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
bwickes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RevPerf Nikasil Milenium cylinders

I spoke with both Revperf and Wiseco's head of R&D on this issue. The old kits were sold with CP pistons and different rings. RevPerf now sell the kits with Wiseco pistons and rings. RevPerf changed to Wiseco pistons about a year ago. They have spent thousands of hours of testing to prove out this set-up.

I believe that a few had problems with the earlier kits. Other jumped on the bandwagon from too much internet surfing and made the issue bigger than it really was. You know how it goes; I know a guy who knows a guy who is the friend of a friend who's bother-in-law had problems.

I would have no problem using the Nikasil cylinders.

B

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I purchased 3 sets. All 3 burned oil and knocked. One set even delammed. Rev perf told me to stick it up my *** pretty much. Now, i see they changed piston design and new ring packs. Great for them, i hope they figured it out. But i must have assembled all 3 of my motors "with honing remnats in the cyl walls". "Sure we will warranty your cyls, but those 300 dollar pistons that are now shot are not under warranty." So, anyone want to buy 3 sets of pistons and cyls with low mileage???? They run super cool...all the burnging oil took the temps way down.....

sorry struck a nerve.....

Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL...same here. I know of at least a dozen guys who were burnt and they're first hand reports from other forums members who built motors using these cylinders, not brothers of a cousins friend. Hope you don't have a set Wickes cause there are literally hundreds out there that have failed. You need to look around man.

I have a set of their cylinders as well (Milleniums) and they have brown horizontal striping inside the cylinder and started knocking at 5K. Yep...toast, and so were the skirts on the pistons.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

wickies has a 95 and 103...they dont make those sizes in Nikasil......lol good choice...

Quick Reply: Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?