Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
HD_VAGS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got the revperf 98" kit in my RK and it runs beautiful and hauls the mail.
Its all in who builds the motor! Revperf says to wipe the rings and bores down before the build. Some people may over see these small kinda things and then ofcourse their will be a failure. Diamond dust will kill anything!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Nikasil's been around forever. I know for a fact Kawi's been using it for years in their big bore rice burners & of all the issues you can run into big-boring, camming, tuning & revving those beasts to 11K rpm, the Nikasil cylinder liners ain't one of 'em.

If Nikasil'd HD cylinders are having probs, it ain't 'cos of the Nikasil.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

some how im thinking Yamaha,kaw,BMW,victory,ect. probley has a better way (bigger$$) of plating the nikasil than RP,nikasil isn't a problem,but when its not applied right & comes off it is.suposibly RP dosnt have any problems anymore,but they hung a lot of riders out when they did.i wont use nikasil cylinders (BTW,RP`s pistons are WISECO)

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

The big damage that was done to tarnish the name with those, came from a shop in the southwest, that was purchasing the clyinders w/o pistons/rings, and then paring them up with the incorrect ring sets that were not compatable for use with the special Ni-Cad surface, peeling the plating right off the aluminum, sending that hard, nickel, thru the entire engine, destroying many internal component parts.
A Class-Action law suit was about to be enacted against that outfit to help those many folks recover their lost monies, but to the best of my knowledge, it never occured........
Scott

Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you think those cylinders have been "fixed" then think a gain, had a dealer built 107 in last fall on it's second set in 4000 miles burning oil at the rate of 5 quart, yest 5 quarts in the last 1700 miles. The cylinders of course looked like brand new but were coated will oil everywhere upon dis-assembly. We replaced them with bored stockers and a nice full skirt CP and the owner has had no issues since. I'll stick with good old dependable cast iron and save the nikasil stuff for the chainsaws

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
The big damage that was done to tarnish the name with those, came from a shop in the southwest, that was purchasing the clyinders w/o pistons/rings, and then paring them up with the incorrect ring sets that were not compatable for use with the special Ni-Cad surface, peeling the plating right off the aluminum, sending that hard, nickel, thru the entire engine, destroying many internal component parts.
A Class-Action law suit was about to be enacted against that outfit to help those many folks recover their lost monies, but to the best of my knowledge, it never occured........
Scott
+1 on that Scott.I've been running the same Nakisal cylinders for 5yrs. now with absolutely no problems what so ever.In fact I broke the crank 2yrs.ago and still running the same cylinders.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

I figured the glitch had to be on the application side. Dunno why they didn't try to talk to, say, Muzzy & ask 'em how they do it, or who they use. In my ZRX days, lotsa folks used Muzzy & other to punch 'em out to 1224s & I never heard a peep about folks having issues.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

Like I said, the root of that bad name was initiated by that other outfit.
I won't name the name, as I really do not have to, everyone knows.
Scott

Old 01-23-2014, 04:08 PM
HD_VAGS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So If you have Nik bores and zero problems 2 years strong the builder knew what he was doing!!??

Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

so youde use nikasil cylinders scott?? we wont.all the probs ive heard of (& seen) im sure didn't come out of one shop

Quick Reply: Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?