Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Thanks for the info...I know what to stay away from.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

CP did not design or spec the RevPerf pistons--that's on RP. CP made the pistons, true enough, but made them to RP's specs which have now been changed in the ring areas

Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 AM
John R.
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victory motorcycles come with nikasil cylinders from the factory. No problems. Sounds like a processing issue.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did not know that about Victory. Interesting.

A thing to think about using these things on airplanes is most of the time airplanes operate in cool to cold temperates. Big aircooled motorcycles engines have terrible heat issues. And there is very little RPM changes compared with Harleys or any kind of on the road vehicle.

Not really comparable but sounds good at first.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
IronLung7
Stage I

Originally Posted by bwickes
I spoke with both Revperf and Wiseco's head of R&D on this issue. The old kits were sold with CP pistons and different rings. RevPerf now sell the kits with Wiseco pistons and rings. RevPerf changed to Wiseco pistons about a year ago. They have spent thousands of hours of testing to prove out this set-up.

I believe that a few had problems with the earlier kits. Other jumped on the bandwagon from too much internet surfing and made the issue bigger than it really was. You know how it goes; I know a guy who knows a guy who is the friend of a friend who's bother-in-law had problems.

I would have no problem using the Nikasil cylinders.

B
I did the 98 Rev Perf kits twice before I backed out and bored my original cylinders. I put a conventional BB 98 piston kit in before I went to the 105th in Milwaukee. I did receive a 107 kit from Rev Perf in exchange for my scored pistons and cylinders and am glad that someone has had success prior to my getting a 96 and repeating the frustration cycle.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

Originally Posted by GasCan
Nikasil has been proved to have failed in various motorcycle cylinders, airplane engines, and snowmobile engines. Just do a search on Nikasil Cylinder Failures, and Millenium Cylinder Failures and you wil quickly see. Both brands above are from RevPerf and I was also burned with their 107 cylinders. Never again!
If you search for (whatever) failures you will find a lot of failures.....no offense but duh.

I've had nikasil cylinders for 2 years now and no issues. I suspect there are far more that have had no issues than those that have....you just always hear about the ones that fail.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

Originally Posted by bwickes
I spoke with both Revperf and Wiseco's head of R&D on this issue. The old kits were sold with CP pistons and different rings. RevPerf now sell the kits with Wiseco pistons and rings. RevPerf changed to Wiseco pistons about a year ago. They have spent thousands of hours of testing to prove out this set-up.

I believe that a few had problems with the earlier kits. Other jumped on the bandwagon from too much internet surfing and made the issue bigger than it really was. You know how it goes; I know a guy who knows a guy who is the friend of a friend who's bother-in-law had problems.

I would have no problem using the Nikasil cylinders.

B
Yep...agree completely.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

Nikasil is really nothing new-Yamaha was using in the early 80's-

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well an airplane cylinder runs in mostly a nice cool temperature and mostly a pretty steady RPM. No dust much.
Probably that kind of stuff with motorcycles is hard wearing.
My brother's first car was a Chevrolet Vega. Had those cylinders. Wasn't a coating the whole engine was made of that. Didn't last long.
As someone said, tried and true.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 05-04-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM
stevenglenreida
Stage I
Default do you still have those nikasil cylinders ???

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
I purchased 3 sets. All 3 burned oil and knocked. One set even delammed. Rev perf told me to stick it up my *** pretty much. Now, i see they changed piston design and new ring packs. Great for them, i hope they figured it out. But i must have assembled all 3 of my motors "with honing remnats in the cyl walls". "Sure we will warranty your cyls, but those 300 dollar pistons that are now shot are not under warranty." So, anyone want to buy 3 sets of pistons and cyls with low mileage???? They run super cool...all the burnging oil took the temps way down.....

sorry struck a nerve.....
Do you still have those nikasil cylinders ???? Are they for sale ????

Quick Reply: Nikasil Cylinders - Why are these shops still selling them?