Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Comments on 96 to 103 build results

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:04 PM
mgmmgm
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Question Comments on 96 to 103 build results

Hello,
I will most likely go with a 103 build this month. Will have Baisley heads, and probably cast pistons ( comments pro-cons here). I wanted to know what others impression with their builds in this range have to say after having it done.

I will also go roller rockers, and stay with 575 cam, and Fatcats that I have.

I only have the SE clutch spring, has anyone experienced and clutch issues with the Factory HD clutch?

Thanks,

mgm

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:52 PM
txtec
Banned

i sure would hate for a cheap cast piston to come apart and screwup those expensive heads.

Old 02-01-2009 | 09:44 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

those heads are fantastic and you will love them

those pistons are good just dont throw too much compression at them i would go forged just for the potential for swapping out diffrent cams and change compression in the future
also those heads are the same cost as everyones .
ask Baisley about his roller rockers...
might want to change cams either t-man 590 or go with the
TW-7H or the tw8-6.
either way it will produce some good power beleive me.

Old 02-01-2009 | 09:50 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

forged pistons cost more, but there cheeper than another set of jugs
and or heads and any thing else that could be messed up by the pieces
of the cast piston or the piston rod

Old 02-01-2009 | 10:21 PM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Skip the cast pistons.. Aside from the previously given reasons the big one is that the valve pocket on cast pistons is only big enough for stock valves.. If you're looking at head work with larger than stock intake valves you won't be able to safely use the cast pistons..

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:26 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm leaving my stock jugs and pistons,doing the TW6-6 and a mild port job.I can't see pulling my pistons yet with the low miles I have, I'm not worried about the cast piston at all,I know they will hold up. But when it comes time to change them I'll go forged then.

Last edited by paul s; 02-02-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2009 | 11:32 PM
bwickes
Cruiser
Default cast pistons

Do not listen to scare tatics for forged pistons. Listen to facts.

Cast pistons work fine as long as the load and RPM are not excessive. HD would not sell them if they came apart under normal conditions. The warranty costs would not be worth it to them. Used forged pistons if you are going high HP or if you are going to up the rev limit above 6200 RPM.

One point above is valid. The valve reliefs are not big enough for large intake valves on most reworked heads. For that reason you may need to go to forged pistons.

B

Old 02-02-2009 | 04:09 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

Originally Posted by txtec
i sure would hate for a cheap cast piston to come apart and screwup those expensive heads.
screw-up

Last edited by hpfatboy; 02-02-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 04:12 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

Originally Posted by txtec
mistake

Last edited by hpfatboy; 02-02-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 06:16 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

your clutch with the SE spring will probably hold up for a while (maybe even a good while) the problem I had after the motor built was the cramps in my hand from the pull being so hard--I got this http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=18

Had it on my last three builds works excellent and I can ride in stop and go traffic all day without hand cramps.

It acts in conjunction with what you have and locks in -- my RG wheelies a lot easier with this.

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Hello,
I will most likely go with a 103 build this month. Will have Baisley heads, and probably cast pistons ( comments pro-cons here). I wanted to know what others impression with their builds in this range have to say after having it done.

I will also go roller rockers, and stay with 575 cam, and Fatcats that I have.

I only have the SE clutch spring, has anyone experienced and clutch issues with the Factory HD clutch?

Thanks,

mgm

Quick Reply: Comments on 96 to 103 build results