Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Opinions wanted on 103 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Sandmankc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on 103 build

I am skeptical about what I am being told by my dealer. I have searched forums and research the build I thought I was getting . My dealer wants to change the build from the head quarters sport touring 103 that we originally discussed. Head-Quarters has a 6-7 weeks leadtime on headwork so the dealer wants to sell me SE MVA heads for less than what I can get the head quarters work done.

Basically the meat and potatoes of the build they want me to do is:
SE MVA CNC ported heads
SE 103 cylinders
SE 9:1 piston
Roller rockers
HQ-575 cams with S&S gear drive

I have asked for 105 HP and 115 ft-lbs of torque. In my research I don't know that I have ever seen a low compression set-up with the performance above.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by Sandmankc; 01-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my opinion.......Be patient, and wait for the HQ Package. Better in the long run, and you won't have to tear into that motor more than once......Don't ask me how I know.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Just pick up a set of used heads off ebay and send them in. The big money your spending on the HQ heads includes everything so all you really need is two good cores. You can keep riding and no down time. A set of used late heads are about $50-200 and then you can just sell yours after the build is complete.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
rugguy51
Advanced

Your dealer makes more money on the harley stuff. Be patient grasshopper well worth the wait......... Don't ask me how I know either.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

yep all the good head porters have a wait baisley is 2-3 months out. but its worth the wait hq will put a nice pkg together for you./
do not deviate from the course......./

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
yep all the good head porters have a wait baisley is 2-3 months out. but its worth the wait hq will put a nice pkg together for you./
do not deviate from the course......./
+1
This is the "busy time" for most shops as those of us north of the Mason Dixon line are snow bound. If a shop ain't busy this time of year, then I wonder about their work.

Stay with a proven package. Profit margins are greater on HD items than aftermarket, and you are then "mixing and matching" components, not the best formula for maximum results.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Just my opinion.......Be patient, and wait for the HQ Package. Better in the long run, and you won't have to tear into that motor more than once......Don't ask me how I know.
Patience is a virtue, good things happen to those who wait. From what ive heard on these threads, the HQ builds are very nice.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Sandmankc
Stage IV

I guess I should have asked this a little differently. I fully understand the difference between SE parts and having my heads reworked. What I am looking to know is if anyone has had success building a 103 with good heads and cams and got around 105 HP and 115 ft-lbs of torque at 9:1 compression. It makes no difference on the SE vs HQ parts my dealer wants to put in 9:1 pistons and says they can get the performance I want. I haven't read anyone getting these results at 9:1 compression.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandmankc
I guess I should have asked this a little differently. I fully understand the difference between SE parts and having my heads reworked. What I am looking to know is if anyone has had success building a 103 with good heads and cams and got around 105 HP and 115 ft-lbs of torque at 9:1 compression. It makes no difference on the SE vs HQ parts my dealer wants to put in 9:1 pistons and says they can get the performance I want. I haven't read anyone getting these results at 9:1 compression.
I have never seen that much tq with 9 to 1 compression unless it was blown or turbo'd

Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
rugguy51
Advanced

The HQ Sport Touring build is 10.5 compression give or take depending on the altitude. The HQ kit should make about the numbers you want. The SE with the 9 to 1 compression won't. Like Dalton said stay with a proven package....

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on 103 build