Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

compression release or starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts
Default compression release or starter

I have more compression than I have starter. So What is the
cheepest way around this problem? Remove the heads drill and
tap for compression release or buy a stronger starter or maby
two head gaskits?
When I put SE 103+ heads and 103+ pistons on my bike the starter
had no problem spinning the motor over. But now the rings have seated
and I find myself in over my head so now what do I do?
If I go with the compression release will i burn my finger when I stop
in for gas

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check you starter system first, e.g. battery voltage, starter, ground. You can't just go by rated compression ratio. A lot depends on your cams and the compression when starting.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Junebug
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the cranking pressure on the motor? I run releases and it will only burn your finger if you put it on a head bolt instead of the release. I am running a cold cranking pressure of 208 with stock starter and releases and have had no trouble to this point.

It would be a good idea to check your starting system first as stated above.

Last edited by Junebug; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to heavier duty starter can lead you down a path where you also need heavier cables and stronger battery.

If your CR is 10.0:1 or less and your CCP is less 190 or less you should not need either. If above, once you verify your starting system is working properly, I would suggest compression releases.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I used compression releases for several years on my Heritage with 103" engine. I'm having them installed on my Street Glide at the same time they are installing the 103" Stage II kit. As long as you look where you are putting your fingers, you won't get burned by pushing down the releases when the engine is hot. Only takes a second for each one.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont under stand why you didnt put comp. releases in while you had your heads off. Even at 95" mine were put in as a cautionary measure, better safe than sorry. You get used to them, before you get on your bike you watch where you put your fingers. You wont get burnt, trust me. Its a lot easier than changing out batterys and starters. Unfortunatly for you, the heads have to come off again.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Whatever bike you have verify the timing. If a new bike too much timing at cranking can cause hard starting. 50+ MAP at 750-1000 RPM is that area to look at.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
roadglide bc
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Road Glide, 103- SE Stage 2 - S&S SPO Ovals, Powercommander, stock heads and dyno tuned after 25,000 km.

The canned map may be close but nothing beats a tune...worth every penny. Reliability and enough smiles to keep me happy for a long time.

Anyway, within days after the tune I had a starter problem ( one helluva sound!)

Read all of the posts for hours, found out that MOCO had a service bulliten for the 07 starters but I was out of warranty so too bad for me.

Heard everything from need compression releases, need compensator sprocket, need the MOCO's HD starter etc.etc. etc.

Dealer would have charged $1,000 to replace starter ( to start with)

So here is what I ultimately found out. Unless there was head work done the compression from this set up should not require compression releases.
It also does not require a Heavy Duty (??) starter

I removed the starter and took it to an industrial starter and alternator repair shop. They had seen and repaired dozens of Harley TC starters.
Problem is the drive gear / clutch assembley wears on the jackshaft over time and the few thou that gets worn from the jackshaft due to turning two paint cans for cyllinders and kickback.
The guy at the shop said the stock starter is totally sufficient but in a couple of years the wear may happen again ...unless the metallurgy improves on the shaft.

Long story short, they replace the assembly ($100) and it works better than new. They did it in a half hour while I waited.

Not a big job 45 min out ...45 min back in but watch out for the dowels that the bolts run through when doing the re and re. ( |If you drop them you will be hunting for awhile...this added 45 min to the job !!!LOL)

$100 repair - $25 beer - and a couple of hours and while HD could of used the money... so can I ...and the balance goes into the Road Trip account!!

Hope this helps someone out and thanks for all of the input on this site ..it is a great research tool.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I've reached the age where the beer comes after the job.
Makes me too sleepy.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
pikeslayer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think releases would be a good idea for the long haul. No burn issues. I have ran them for 4 years now.

Quick Reply: compression release or starter