Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

want new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 AM
chugchug
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default want new pipes

I got my new FXD on monday,And i want to put different pipes on it,but i'm not sure which i want.A 2 into 1 like the thunder header,Or the V&H short shot staggered.If i spend money for pipes,I want an increase in power or torque.But i want it in the lower rpm range.I want it to sound good but more importantly if i spend several hundred dollars for pipes,they better do more than 'sound good' Does a 2 cylinder bike respond better for torque increases with a 2 into 1 pipe or 2 seperate short pipes?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:12 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 into 1. Check out a D&D Fat Cat, with quiet baffle.
Tom

Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you would prefer to go with a 2 into2, the Big Shot Staggered would be a top choice.
Tom

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
chugchug
Cruiser

I picked up a used set of V&H short shots for my superglide today! the guy wanted 125.00 but i got them for 100,Theres a few minor scratches that you cant see when the pipes are on the bike,And one of the o2 sensors is stuck in the bung,He tried to get it out but rounded it off and ended up cutting the wires to it.So i got home took the pipes to the shop and put a little heat on the bung and the sensor came right out and the scratches i worked over with some very fine steel wool and brick dust,theres only 3 deep scratches in the chrome but you wont see them anyway.And i also picked up a better seat,it's a little narrower and puts me a little closer to the pegs.(i'm only 5'7)and that cost me 100 also,the guy only used the stuff for last summer

Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

If you want more power and torque, forget about the short shots. Been there done that, go for the 2 into 1 always for increased performance. Brand is your choice, i chose the V+H PRO-PIPE. Its your call. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also run the V&H pro pipe on my Deuce but along with the D&D there is also the SuperTrapp SuperMegs.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
drtheo
Tourer

Have to say that the short shots are not the performance answer. I would go with the Fat Cat or thunderheader depending on your preference, I have BSS with quiet baffles, its not bad, but there is always that little voice saying, "what would it be like with the Fat cat?"

Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
chugchug
Cruiser

Im thinking now that i should have gone with a 2 into 1 pipe,i looked at the V&H pro pipe,and a couple of others.if i understand it correctly a 2 into 1 appears to make a smoother more equal flow of exhaust of the engine,and places the torque at lower rpms' which is where i want it,and a short shot put any power gains at the upper rpm's,and i'm not likely to run at 4500-5000 rpm constantly to enjoy my power gains.I think i can still get my $100 back for my short shots,a buddy of mine says he would have bought them had he seen them first.But yikes on the 2 into 1 pipes! they are not cheap!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When it comes to power, you gotta pay up $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
99embrey
Tourer

Post in the "Want to Buy" forum. I got a good deal on a used Rinehart 2-1 there. I'd just keep the other pipes in case you want to change the bike up every once in a while. I can never leave anything alone. Just ask my wife!

Quick Reply: want new pipes