Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

engine build proposal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll throw my two cents in here. Axtell makes nice stuff, without a doubt but there is a cost for that nice stuff. Same with some other aftemarket manufacturers of cylinders and heads. I have run Woods cams, TW5g, Tw6, and 400-6, all good cams when run in combination with the right copression and components.

HQ's 113 and 120 uses the HD bigger bore cylinders, bores them .005 over and fits pistons and rings to 'em. I believe their headwork to be second to none adn they do your stock heads, not having to shell out extra dough for new heads. I am a bit biased as I have had phenomenal results with the 120 as have my friends that have built everything from 95's up to 120's. No, they are not HP monsters, but they ARE torque monsters. I now know of 4 120's that are in the 120hp, 150+ tq range. Numbers aren't all that important when they are so much fun and reliable to ride. Also, the higher lift, longer duration cams are not all that conducive to building torque. HQs 575 cams are only .575 lift and are assymetrical, meaning different lift/duration from intake to exhaust.. Do I work for HQ - no. But when I find something that works, and customer service that is great, I let everyone else know about it.

And Sedeluxe is right, some like blondes, some brunettes, but redheads just wind me up !!LOL

Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
both companies are very good it all depends on what the customer wants and can afford. asking a professional such as hillside their opinions like that are not fair to hillside and if he answrs the question in any way it may be used against him in later posts.
i have seen it and i have been apart of it also trust me that is a loaded question.
i dont mean to offend you but thats the facts.
i prefer Baisley heads to a lot of others yes i have used a couple of others as well
both companies are very good at what they do.
like i said it depends on what theh customer would like.....
some like blonds to brunettes and red heads
Thats fair I guess. Not trying to start a war of post between people and yes I have seen how that can happen very easily. Just wanted a opinion from a builder on what he recommends and why. Just hoping he might say even though I could never use hillside because Im on wrong coast. I do appreciate the info you have given me. I guess I will have to look at HQ prices some more and compare. I do feel the relationship with the builder is important to. I have done some work with this indy but nothing major. I will stop by there a few more time and ask some more ?'s I guess

Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you Dalton i did not know that about the hq cylinders....

Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dalton thanks for infor. Just trying to learn and find out as much info as possible. Its a chunk of change to drop.