Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Chain Failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
BUSTERK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read an awful lot of posts from riders going gear drive. When the first chain let go I asked about going gear drive at that time. The service manager rather steered me away from them because " there's just as many issues with gear drives. Most bikes don't fall into the tolerances for pinion shaft runout."

Well, what the hell do I know about it. I have bought all my bikes from the same dealer since 1989 and one leans on a preceived level of confidance. They had never given me bad advice before and even at this point I do not hold them responsible in any way. I am sure he was sincere in his opinion.

I am facing basically a lower end rebuild. Seems to me if there are tolerance issues they should be able to be addressed at the time of assembly.

Hence, my original question stands. Where can one go to get some staight answers?

I want a service tech to say "this is what broke, this is why it happened and this action will fix it."

Not "maybe, I think, it should, we hope so"

My 93 EVO bagger had 88K on the clock and when I sold it, it had the original drive belt!

Did all you cats with gear drives have the runout of the pinion shaft checked? Are you sure it was checked?

Whew! I'm going to go get a glass of water. I am starting to heat up again. But... venting is therapeutic.

Thanks. I surely do enjoy reading others input.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
BUSTERK
Advanced

BVBOB, Hi there. Yes, the first time one links in the stack broke and lifted up wearing a groove in the tensioner shoe. When the tech pulled the cam support plate the chain was still intact and the shoe came out in pieces when the tension was released. I was witness to this. The second time I was pulling away from a stop sign in nowhere Michigan and Snap. The motor siezed instantly. I have not seen these parts yet as the bike is at the shop 90 miles away and the tech told me the chain is broke and balled up in the cam chest where it dinged other things.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that sounds nasty, nothing short of complete disassembly will do at this point, everything, and I mean everything must be checked, chances are you are looking at the very least, every single piece in the camchest, not to mention potential case damage. Not to mention the potential damage to the top end. Just remember, it's only parts and it can be fixed, just need to be thorough.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BUSTERK
I have read an awful lot of posts from riders going gear drive. When the first chain let go I asked about going gear drive at that time. The service manager rather steered me away from them because " there's just as many issues with gear drives. Most bikes don't fall into the tolerances for pinion shaft runout."

Well, what the hell do I know about it. I have bought all my bikes from the same dealer since 1989 and one leans on a preceived level of confidance. They had never given me bad advice before and even at this point I do not hold them responsible in any way. I am sure he was sincere in his opinion.

I am facing basically a lower end rebuild. Seems to me if there are tolerance issues they should be able to be addressed at the time of assembly.

Hence, my original question stands. Where can one go to get some staight answers?

I want a service tech to say "this is what broke, this is why it happened and this action will fix it."

Not "maybe, I think, it should, we hope so"

My 93 EVO bagger had 88K on the clock and when I sold it, it had the original drive belt!

Did all you cats with gear drives have the runout of the pinion shaft checked? Are you sure it was checked?

Whew! I'm going to go get a glass of water. I am starting to heat up again. But... venting is therapeutic.

Thanks. I surely do enjoy reading others input.
In my case, if the crank run out was not within the tolerances, i would not have gone gear drive. I was lucky, and i proceeded with job. If i had issues with the run out, i would have stayed with cam chain and tensioners. I was not going to be splitting my cases to correct crank run out. Since you are going in to bottom end anyway, you can correct crank issue and install gear drive no problem. If 2003 and up, install TIMKEN crank bearing also while your in there.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 AM
BUSTERK
Advanced

BVBOB, My problem right now is a confidence issue. I know I ca not fix it myself and I have to "trust" someone else to look out for my best interest. I tell you what, every year for the last 15 we have gone on a 3000+ mile trip with nary a thought about engine reliability. Now, I'll be crawling with ants everytime I leave the driveway. You know, entering a Harley dealership is like going to Jurassic Park. These motors are dinosaurs. I understand the last T-Rex fossil that was found had a bar & shield tattoo on its shoulder.
Doug

Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

If i read correctly you had two chain failures?
Something definitely wrong here.I never heard of any chains failing on these sites.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 AM
BUSTERK
Advanced

Yes, two chains. Both inner. The first time a inboard section of one link fractured near the rivet if you will. The link section turned up and ruined the tension shoe. These parts I saw first hand. The second inner chain I was told broke. I have not seen these parts yet. Just going by what the shop tech told me. I am baffled as I am not an aggressive rider by any means. Never over 4200 rpm and hardly ever shift higher than 3500. More and more I am leaning toward sending it back to the MOCO for a reman. I will lose my BB and cams but perhaps they will get it to spec. Guess I'm a little spooked.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know where to begin, the chain is not normally an item that fails, usually the tensioners go first, wearing away at the chain. Are you sure the techs go it right?

A reman is fine, but you will be back to square one, and I can tell you from experience, once you've had the power, and then take it away, it is just not the same!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
fitn217
Intermediate

I would find a good indy builder in your area. For me it's Dave @ JD's Cycle Works, a super nice guy who knows his stuff. I told him what I want out of it and he recommended a build for me. He's doing a 103" stroker build for me right now. I bought my ride used with a 95" BB with stock cams and it was lackluster. Like Hpfatboy I had my runout checked but unlike him my runout was out of spec for gear cams. I chose to split the cases, and got a Darkhorse S&S crank put in.....along with Andrews 37g's..... I figured if I'm going to do it, I'll do it once...the right way....yes it will cost me more....but I won't be taking a chance of paying for the same work twice.
I would go to a good indy builder, have your runout checked....and talk to him about what he recommends for you to make it bulletproof.....or call Dave or even Hillside cycles..who posts here often and ask them.
If both of your chains failed....I would think that something is causing this to happen....runout, maybe??

If you get a remanufactured motor from HD....you might get a motor that could have the same problems......the tolerance specs for crank runout are not close tolerances at all......research on the forums!!!!!
I'm no expert, but from everyting I've read on the subject the only way to make sure you'll have no runout problems is to split the cases and put a welded, trued crank in there ......then you can put gear cams in and never....ever have to worry about cam tensioners again!!!!
Just my 2 cents......

Last edited by fitn217; 01-16-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was about to recommend what Fitin had to say.

Since it's open case time... do a lefty Timken or the SE INA bearing, a Darkhorse crank (or similar) and keep your BB.

Then that Gear Drive will give you your confidence back. I, me, personally, get that confidence thing perfectly.

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Failed