Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine Build in Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Engine Build in Steps

Hello All and Merry Christmas. Have received a lot of great advice over the years on this site, and it is a great resource for research as well. Want to try to get something straight as I look to do a 95" build on my 2005 Deluxe. If I have to do this in steps because of budget, am I right that probably doing cam first and oil pump (thinking Woods 6 gear drive as long as run-out checks) and getting the heads done would be first, followed by new pistons/cyl bored ect. next. Or, should I not bother with the heads and just do cams/oil pump, then do the heads/pistons/cyl. separately? Will have to do this is steps, so just want to do the pieces together that make the most sense. Thanks for any feedback.

Ted

Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Did exatly what your doing in 2007 on my 04 FATBOY.. Did bike in 2 stages, 07 just did the WOODS TW-6G cam, baisley oil pump spring and SE adjustable pushrods. Thats it for 07. Went from 63hp to 86hp and 79tq to 92tq, quite pleased at the time. Next year 2008 , did the 95 big bore kit. Which consisted of boring STOCK barrels and porting STOCK heads, worked out very nicely because cam worked well for the 88 inch motor and worked perfectly in the 95 inch. Now im at 97hp and 110tq , very pleased indeed . Considering i used stock valves and stock carb, 200 main jet and 48 pilot. V+H PRO- PIPE, JE forged pistons. IM SURE YOUR PLAN WILL WORK. IT DID FOR ME. Buy the way, didnt mention all the goodies added. Just the basics. As far as your build goes and what you want out of your motor, you will have to sit down with builder and discuss these issues before you start. So in the end the puzzle will all come together, all parts complimenting one another to create the TOTAL PACKAGE. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-25-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cams first is a good start, Woods 6 or HQ 0034 are good starting points.

If you do the heads now, you will again have to pull the heads to do the bore later so I recommend waiting till you got the funds and all the parts to go into the engine. If you install the right cam, you may decide to not even do the big bore as you will get a nice gain in power.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Great question. I am also wanting to start down this road soon and can only do this in stages, unless I save for a year or two to get the funds together. I am planning on doing cams and a D&D Fat Cat first. Then (if I feel the need) to go with the 95" kit. I've not decided on gear drive or just replacing all my 06 tensioners, hydrolics etc. with the new 07 and newer stuff.
hpfatboy, the numbers you got after your first build will make me very satisfied I think.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think doing the cam chest only then the top end all in one shot would be the better option. Especially if you are paying someone.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:01 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WARG
Great question. I am also wanting to start down this road soon and can only do this in stages, unless I save for a year or two to get the funds together. I am planning on doing cams and a D&D Fat Cat first. Then (if I feel the need) to go with the 95" kit. I've not decided on gear drive or just replacing all my 06 tensioners, hydrolics etc. with the new 07 and newer stuff.
hpfatboy, the numbers you got after your first build will make me very satisfied I think.
WARG you are right, they were very satisfying. But as you know hp and tq are very addictive once you feel the increases. It was that way for me anyway. But you are right, the increases were very noticeable. A pickup of 23 hp and 13tq was a nice gain for just a cam change. GOOD LUCK with your project, which ever route you choose. The gain was more to hp in first stage from the cam swap, but second stage gain was more to tq. after boring the barrels to 95" and porting heads.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-26-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WARG
mistake

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 AM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good question, im in the same delima. Wouldnt you want to do the 95 bore first. No replacement for displacement? cams would be nice but wouldt you see more with a bore job?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest cam chest first, then top end

Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best way I have seen to this is with the RR525 gear drive cams in one of their new internal billet cam plates with the 07 factory pump. Great cam to build off of and it will get you some torque and cool the engine down with stock trim.

Last edited by Kingofcubes; 12-26-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Build in Steps