Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

JESUS I need help from someone who knows

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
Most EFI tuners, that we know, take 3-5 hrs to bring a bike around.
We can spend almost that amount time on a carb tune, here.
Scott
My bike was professionally tuned in under 1 hour.

If it takes you 3-5 hours to tune a bike, you must be greasing your customers pretty good.

~Joe

Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler

If it takes you 3-5 hours to tune a bike, you must be greasing your customers pretty good.

~Joe
Oh, Boy!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
txtec
Banned

~Joe
if you got both cyls tuned separatley,air fuel ratio and timing in less than an hour it sounds like your the one that got greased. local tuners here take almost an hour to make three pulls to check numbers and give a air fuel printout.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

powercommander tuning link?
sert?
t-max?
dtt?
sest?
TTS?
download from dealer?
how close was the break in map?
how many times was it on the dyno before the final 1hr tune?
what kind of engine work is done?
is it possible yes
if the break in map was spot on he could do a clean up.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:55 PM
1711tab
Advanced

~Joe

Was he considered a professional because you paid him???

Tuners like Doc or Dave from JD'S Cycle Works or Bob from RC Cycles etc would tell you your tuner must have magical powers... They can't and they wouldn't dream of telling anyone that there bike was tuned in 1 hour... Hell it takes 15-20 minutes alone to get everything setup for a dyno pull, with ramping the bike , tying it down, installing all the sensors etc...

Now you might have had a dyno pull to show AFR, HP & TQ in 1 hour but thats not tuning and that for sure isn't what the professional tuners do...

Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1711tab
Was he considered a professional because you paid him???

Tuners like Doc or Dave from JD'S Cycle Works or Bob from RC Cycles etc would tell you your tuner must have magical powers... They can't and they wouldn't dream of telling anyone that there bike was tuned in 1 hour... Hell it takes 15-20 minutes alone to get everything setup for a dyno pull, with ramping the bike , tying it down, installing all the sensors etc...

Now you might have had a dyno pull to show AFR, HP & TQ in 1 hour but thats not tuning and that for sure isn't what the professional tuners do...

Well i can honestly say this. I don't believe my bike was TUNED ! The harley shop called themselves tuning it and then the guy walss up to me after spending 5K on the build and says, I set it at econamy so you could get gas millage. ??????????? I was like WTF ! I didn't just build a dam engine just to set it on econamy. So I took it to Panama and let them dyno it on the dynojet machine. I talked to the guy and told him what i was looking for and He said he could tune it. $300 and 20 min later he rolled it off the rack and said it was ready. It ran exactly the same.
Now im stuck with a bike that has no low end, medium mid range and a rocket on top end. EXACTLY WHAT I DIDNT WANT ! This harley shop in Pensacola has just about got me to where I don't want to own a Harley anymore and I now hate my bike.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
txtec
Banned

two words, hillside and doc. quit wasting your money at dealership wannabe techs.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

~Joe
Never have over-charged a client, and never will, just so you are aware of that.
Couldn't have been in business for 27 years doing such nonsense, now could we?
Cheers,
Scott

Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by NTrat
Just trade/sell your cams for the S&S 570's, you should keep the loss down to a minimum here. If you still have your stock heads, sell of the SE heads, put that money back into the stock heads and have them set up for the S&S 570 cams.........you can make this an easy to fix mistake that wont completely rape ur wallet. Even with the current exhaust you will get a big boost in low end power. Hell sell off the exhaust, grab something like an RB LSR Black Hole 2-1 pipe and watch your jaw hit the floor when you twist the throttle.
only time NUTRArat might have been right.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
Well i can honestly say this. I don't believe my bike was TUNED ! The harley shop called themselves tuning it and then the guy walss up to me after spending 5K on the build and says, I set it at econamy so you could get gas millage. ??????????? I was like WTF ! I didn't just build a dam engine just to set it on econamy. So I took it to Panama and let them dyno it on the dynojet machine. I talked to the guy and told him what i was looking for and He said he could tune it. $300 and 20 min later he rolled it off the rack and said it was ready. It ran exactly the same.
Now im stuck with a bike that has no low end, medium mid range and a rocket on top end. EXACTLY WHAT I DIDNT WANT ! This harley shop in Pensacola has just about got me to where I don't want to own a Harley anymore and I now hate my bike.

if you can PM me your build i can see if the shop i know has a map similar to the specs .
the only other thing i can tell you is gator HD or trailer the bike up to JD's and have him tune it for you.
that would be my choice.
i have been dealing with that shop for a long time and he is very good. beleive me i know how hard it is to find a good shop.

had some pinging when it got real hot up here in Jersey and i drove to JD'd 1.5 hrs away doing 75-80 mph to have him fix it. it was at the end of the day and it was hot i got there about 6:00 at nite he was packing up to go home the guy stopped what he was doing put my bike on the dyno and 3 hrs later he was finished. now that is service also he told me dont worry about it.

Last edited by SEDELUXE; 01-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.