Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Power torque question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
skyhook
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a couple of good shops in p'cola are redline performance and pine forest cycles

Old 12-22-2008, 03:10 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by skyhook
sorry you've had problems, buddy...the noise thing is just an annoyance, big cams tend to make a lot of noise unless great pains are taken to blueprint the valvetrain...again I'll say that the main problem is the true duals...either put the stock headpipes/slip-on's back on or invest in a good 2 into 1 exhaust ( bassani roadrage if you want loud, or supertrapp supermeg with open end cap if you want quieter)...and tuning is the other thing...I used turn one in milton once...he does a fair job...or if you're willing to travel, I know some really good folks in montgomery, new orleans, and orlando

do you have the part number of the heads?...they could also be the problem
Pro performer heads- 17071-03B
Piston kit- 22483-04
3.875 Cylinder kit -16546-99

From what I was told, this created 10:5.1 compression.
The readings with the 37G cam was 86/98TQ
The readings with the 585G-07BT was 97.24 HP/ 102.13TQ But you should see the dyno sheet. the max torque didnt hit till 4000 rpm so i had massive power after 3000 rpms but on the bottom end i had nothing. Harley told me that was just the way it was and left it at that.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
skyhook
Tourer

that is the 103+ head and piston combo...not what I would have chosen, but it might can be salvaged...I'm sure that a change of exhaust will help a lot...and like someone else said, if you could have someone do a compression test and get back to us, we could make further recommendaions

Old 12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

that is the 103+ head and piston combo...not what I would have chosen, but it might can be salvaged...I'm sure that a change of exhaust will help a lot...and like someone else said, if you could have someone do a compression test and get back to us, we could make further recommendaions
I will go buy a compression tester now and get back to you this evening. thanks for the help

Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Ok found a compression tester and ran the test. Compression on both cylenders are the same. It read 192 lbs pressure I was under the impression it was going to be around 210 rather than 190. What's up with that ?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Just in case someone might read this, from the beginning you were looking for 100/100 out of your motor. Typically square #s are built as horse power motors with the torque # coming in at a higher rpm. The set up you have is probably a bar-hoppers dream even though the tune still doesn't sound all that good. Typically a torque monster has a fairly lower HP# compared to torque. Something like 90/100 or 95/110. Simply because to make torque in the low end the top end HP will suffer and vice versa. And a typical torque motor doesn't do much over 5-5500 rpms. You have a lot of obstacles to hurtle here. The biggest is the huge intake valve and port more suited for a bigger motor and the true duels you are currently running.
If this was my bike, I would start with selling the Reinharts and installing the stock head pipe and mufflers and see what happens. Remember, you will be giving up HP for TQ so the motor will begin to loose power up top but gain it lower. After your reinharts sell, invest in a GOOD set of slip-ons. This move alone might be enough for you to be happy?
Next, I would probably put in a set of woods 7HG-7 cams. But if you still have the 37s that would be cheaper and with the stock header will make more torque that the duels.
Lastly, I would take it to a tuner (other then the one you have been taking it to) with the knowledge that you are looking for TORQUE with good cruse fuel mileage.
This is strictly my own opinion, which probably doesn't mean much! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Hi FLHXXHLF,

Wow guy, I feel your pain, however, I think that you gave the shop the wrong directions. You are getting a lot of information that is sound here. I would suggest that you reevaluate your basic goal; forget getting 100/100.

First of all you really need to define what you have: physical attributes of your bike, equipment carried, your weight and passenger weight, riding style, and expected performance with you, your Sweetie, and all the things you carry with you.

Not everyone can keep track of all the model designations, so let's talk about type, FLH etc, what year is it, touring bike that weighs in at XXX pounds. Style of riding: I like to ride the rear wheel to make the front tire last a real long time or I'm an old duffer that likes to putt putt my way around. Got the idea?

Where are the take off parts? I hope you kept them. What is the induction system: Carb, or SPFI, what size? What air cleaner are you using? Never pick performance parts based on looks or sound. The torque dip is most likely caused by the pipes you have. Myself, I like the Supertrapp 2 into 1, D & D Fat Cat is supposed to be very good too.

Forget dyno numbers, they work best while sucking on a beer bottle but will not help you in a road bike that is asked to putt or run fast on the street.

Just a few things to think about, leave the anger out of it, be realistic with your expectations and above all balance the build parts to work together.

Best wishes,

Pixs