Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

118ft Lb Torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
Bob Wood's personal 124", that marks 150/150, with 4.08 gearing, anihilates V-Max's, at a 60 mph roll-on, as he has told us. Just saying.
not the new v-max it wont. that thing is just down right brutal.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help explain it for you:

http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/torque.html

Way I think of it is torque is the twisting force of the engine, or the power you feel when accelerating. All engines have it, some have it higher in the RPM range than others. The higher in the RPM range, the faster you'll go and if the balance between TQ and HP is sufficient, the quicker too. Fast = high MPH, quick = ET. That's why crotchers will beat our beloved HDs. They make adequate torque and HP for their weight at higher RPM.

Gearing can change the dynamic by tailoring a motors torque- / HP-producing characteristics to best suit the need. However, depending on the application, different variables can be more prominent.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:43 PM
skyhook
Tourer

torque is how hard it pulls

horsepower is how long it pulls hard

Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine was trying to explain torque vs horsepower to my son, who rides a 2004 XL1200C. He told my son to do a 50 mph roll-on against his buddy's 750 GSXR with both bikes in 5th gear. He told him that the torque of the Sporty would probably pull away from the GSXR but after about 3-4 seconds the horsepower of the GSXR would blow by him in a blur.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Lefthandedss
6th Gear

This has made it clearer, it's simlar to a turbo after it's spooled up, the amount of instant psi, then your hp power helps pushing it along after the boost has ran out, so 118ft lb of torque is added into the weight of the bike with my fat *** on it, plus the horse power, now we just have to wait and see what 120 hp 118ft lbs of torque on a 737 pound bike carrying a 264 pound bloke, will feel like.

What i was thinking before was sure the bussa was lighter but perhaps the torque would help punish him, thanks for the info .

Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

If your bike is stock I would put a Pro Charger Super Charger on it stock 96 with 10 lbs of boost will make about 130/140 hp about 110/118 tq with no engine work. And it will not beat a busa so dont even go there I build turbo Busa. Here is a dyno sheet on the last one I did for a customer. I see guys at the track with 166 hp harleys and get whiped buy stock Busas all day Even the V-rods with turbos dont even come close. I know I bulid them Vrod with turbo 160/170 hp. I am just telling you because I build these type of bikes and my customers race them. Like I said click down below on attachment and see for your self. 529 horse power.....

Attached Thumbnails 118ft Lb Torque-dynostg6plushayabusa.jpg  

Last edited by DRAGO1; 12-22-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Lefthandedss;4259540]Ok i was going the 103 S&S upgrade on my 96 cube Cross Bones, but now im onto the "110 Pro race Kit" which uses the New MVA Heads, the HD Specs give 122 Hp and a whopping 118Ft Lb Torque.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that these HD specs are at the crank.....NOT on the ground.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

You want power super charge it......... 125hp plus power...........

My two cents

Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

It doesn't matter how much or at what rpm, it's always the twisting force exerted by the crankshaft that moves you. The force is measured (in the U.S.A.) in ft-lb and is torque. Over time you can always figure out the horsepower with math if you want to know what it is, but there's no difference when it comes to what moves you. It's always the torque at whatever level it's being produced right now.

The only reason torque shows up higher on the graph than horsepower below 5252 rpm is because that's the way the math works. It's also why horsepower shows up higher after 5252 rpm. It's just the math. It's not that torque gets you moving and horsepower takes over later. It's all torque all the time, nothing more. Shut off the torque and the horsepower goes right with it (it has to, since it's nothing but a byproduct of the torque); and you'll start decelerating at that same moment.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer

Originally Posted by glens
The only reason torque shows up higher on the graph than horsepower below 5252 rpm is because that's the way the math works. It's also why horsepower shows up higher after 5252 rpm. It's just the math.
I agree. if the formula were written differently your rated horsepower could be higher or lower.

Horsepower is simply a calculation based on rpm and torque. Dynos only ever measure torque. Horsepower is calculated after. Here's the formula:

Horsepower = Torque * RPM / 5252

So how is this formula arrived at, and where did 'horsepower' come from?

Well it's all down to the Scottish engineer James Watt (1736 to 1819), he established that a horse could pull a 550lb weight up from a coal mine at a rate of one foot every second, for an eight hour shift. This converts to 33,000 foot pounds per minute. He published these observations, stating this figure to be the equivalent of one horsepower

We need to convert from the rotary motion of an engine to a linear motion, like the horse example. Remember we can only measure the torque of the engine, this is expressed in pound feet. A pound foot of torque is the twisting force necessary to support a one pound weight on a weightless horizontal bar, one foot from the centre of rotation. Lets rotate the one pound weight one revolution, the distance travel is 6.2832, that's Pi multiplied by the diameter, 2 feet. We have now done 6.2832 foot pound of work.

One horsepower equals 33,000 foot pounds per minute, so if we divide 6.2832 in to 33,000 we can conclude that we at 5252 rpm we are producing one horsepower, we are moving our one pound weight 33,000 feet every minute.
Therefore if we multiply the torque by rpm and then divide by 5252 we can calculate the horsepower

Last edited by NitroBerserker; 12-22-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 118ft Lb Torque