Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

118ft Lb Torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are guys on this forum as well as myselfg that have close to or over 140 ftlbs of tq at low RPM yes we do understand tq. the problem is the hd will not run with a stock busa or any other liter bike period.
10.5 compression motor in a 700 lb bike think about it.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Lefthandedss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
there are guys on this forum as well as myselfg that have close to or over 140 ftlbs of tq at low RPM yes we do understand tq. the problem is the hd will not run with a stock busa or any other liter bike period.
10.5 compression motor in a 700 lb bike think about it.
yeah it was just a question i have had nothing to do with these big japa's, and i have thought about it, this is my first Road bike all the rest have been motor cross bikes.

i guess your all missing the question, i was after the explaination of torque, not using it as a point of argument, i really dont understand it, the rest of the waffling that has been going on has been about the bussa and i dont give to rats about, a simple the bussa is faster would of been ok, i understand power to weight also thanks SEDELUX
i'll be happy just to beat my mates bikes. now if you understand how to relate torque in english rather than text book wafflings, im interested in hearing it.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Lefthandedss
yeah it was just a question i have had nothing to do with these big japa's, and i have thought about it, this is my first Road bike all the rest have been motor cross bikes.

i guess your all missing the question, i was after the explaination of torque, not using it as a point of argument, i really dont understand it, the rest of the waffling that has been going on has been about the bussa and i dont give to rats about, a simple the bussa is faster would of been ok, i understand power to weight also thanks SEDELUX
i'll be happy just to beat my mates bikes. now if you understand how to relate torque in english rather than text book wafflings, im interested in hearing it.
TORQUE is what stretches your arms, when you grab a hand full of throttle. TORQUE is what pulls your upper arms out of there shoulder sockets, when you grab a hand full. Thats my definition of TORQUE.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-20-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Lefthandedss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
TORQUE is what stretches your arms, when you grab a hand full of throttle. TORQUE is what pulls your upper arms out of there shoulder sockets, when you grab a hand full. Thats my definition of TORQUE.
I like the sounds of torque i just hope 118ft lbs in enough

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
DADAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
good analogy

tq = acceleration
torque gets you to speed fast and hp pulls you on at high speeds.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

there is never enuff

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody can help me understand torque??? and can you explain it to me in simple terms how it's measured and what it feels like, and how it goes with horse power[?]
Torque is a rotational force. If you need to tighten a bolt to 50 ft-lb and you have a wrench with a 1-foot handle, you'll need to apply 50 lb of force at the end of the handle. If it were a 6-inch handle, you'd need to apply 100 lb of force at its end. With a 2-foot handle, 25 lb of force at its end. Torque is force times the distance between the center of rotation and the place the force is applied.

If you had an engine which could produce 100 ft-lb of torque, you could put a 2-foot-diameter drum on the end of the crankshaft and lift up to a 100 lb load with a rope around that drum. With a 1-foot-diameter drum you could lift 200 lb. A 4-foot-diameter drum would be good for 50 lb of force.

Horsepower, for our purposes, is the amount of torque produced over time. A formula is used to determine the horsepower value for a given amount of torque at a given amount of revolution speed. There is a factor of 5252 used in this calculation. If you look at dyno charts you'll see that the horsepower curve has the same value as the torque curve at 5252 rpm. The two traces will cross at that point, always. Because the horsepower is not being measured. The torque is what's being measured and the horsepower is derived from that figure at that rpm at that moment.

The higher-revving engines can produce much more horsepower even when they can't produce as much torque because they're spinning faster. Making their less torque more times per minute.

One horsepower equals 746 Watts (which is also a measurement of work done over time).

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Its never enough , its like s_x, you never get enough. You get 118, you want 130. Where do you stop! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I agree if you want pure speed, you have to go with the hyabusa. But if you wanna look cool getting there, give me the harley any day. These harleys cant compete with 15,000 rpms. You got to be satisfied at some point, and say enough is enough.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I might give a try..

A diesel truck or a farm tractor uses high torque (low end- to get off the line) to pull a heavy load. A Locomotive at a dead stop uses high torque to pull a 500 ton load of coal.

Low torque can't start off fast but can eventually get up to speed.

High torque can start off fast with lots of power (pull a load) but cant get a very high top speed.

A dragster uses high horsepower to get to 200 mph near the end of the 1/4 mile (and high torque to get off the line fast). Your Harley uses high torque to pull off the line and high horse power to push it over the finish line......sorta.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Power

Bob Wood's personal 124", that marks 150/150, with 4.08 gearing, anihilates V-Max's, at a 60 mph roll-on, as he has told us. Just saying.

Quick Reply: 118ft Lb Torque