Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Which SE head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Rebel78
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which SE head?

Talking only performance & reliability wise. If you are stuck with SE heads, which one would you go for & why? Or is it just better to port the original heads?

Would SE CNC ported head perform better than a ported SE MCR head?

Thanx in advance.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:11 AM
skyhook
Tourer

the mcr is the best head they have, in my opinion...but it has around 78cc chambers and makes for very high compression in a flattop 103...dished pistons are an option, if the dish doesn't diminish the quench area...I do not care for fancy shaped (103+, htcc, cnc ported, etc) combustion chambers, they're diffcult to set up correctly...and the new, modified bathtub heads (acr, 110+, mva, cvo 110) have huge valves and ports, do not flow well, have little quench area, and are too expensive

having your stock heads ported by a pro is the best way to optimize performance and reliability...if reliability is a big concern, it is best to choose a mild, low compression package including bolt-in cams

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Rebel78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skyhook
the mcr is the best head they have, in my opinion...but it has around 78cc chambers and makes for very high compression in a flattop 103...dished pistons are an option, if the dish doesn't diminish the quench area...I do not care for fancy shaped (103+, htcc, cnc ported, etc) combustion chambers, they're diffcult to set up correctly...and the new, modified bathtub heads (acr, 110+, mva, cvo 110) have huge valves and ports, do not flow well, have little quench area, and are too expensive

having your stock heads ported by a pro is the best way to optimize performance and reliability...if reliability is a big concern, it is best to choose a mild, low compression package including bolt-in cams
Do you know whats the cc volume for standard head chambers?
Should I go for Wiseco flat top pistons rated @ CR 9.6 part No.1761
or am I better of with SE Forged flat top stroker pistons CR 10.5 part No.22942-00

Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 AM
skyhook
Tourer

the stock heads average 86cc, but can range from 84 to 89...it's best to measure them

a popluar build these days is flattop 103 pistons, stock heads, .030" cometic head gaskets, and se211cams...if I were riding in 130 degree weather, I'd want low compression like this

or you could use a little smaller cam like andrews 54, but the compression would be a little higher

what rpm do you want your power?

Last edited by skyhook; 12-20-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the MVA's and rather than speculating on why something may or may not work the way I like, I can tell you from riding experience that they work! No ping plenty of torque and my heavy bike with crappy stock gearing is fun as hell to ride. And before all the guy's start asking for dyno sheets , I don't have them yet, bike has not been dynoed yet, and like I said it is a blast to ride!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM
skyhook
Tourer

I hope to be proven wrong about those heads...really I use a lot of s.e. stuff as you can see by my signature...thing is that they are relatively new, and we'll need to see a bunch of dyno sheets with them before we can make final judgement...until then I cannot recommend them

I'm glad that your build runs good!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Rebel78
Do you know whats the cc volume for standard head chambers?
Should I go for Wiseco flat top pistons rated @ CR 9.6 part No.1761
or am I better of with SE Forged flat top stroker pistons CR 10.5 part No.22942-00
All stock heads chamber volume will vary from unit to unit. The chambers can be increased or decreased in volume to the specific needs of your cams and type of pistons you use. Again, until you know WHERE you want your powerband to be and which cam you go with, I wouldnt worry about chamber volume or anything else yet. One thing at a time if you want your build done right the first time. Figure out your riding style and where you want your power to come on strongest, then find a cam that will accomplish that for you, then have your heads worked to maximize the cam you picked out. Real simple.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by skyhook
the stock heads average 86cc, but can range from 84 to 89...it's best to measure them

a popluar build these days is flattop 103 pistons, stock heads, .030" cometic head gaskets, and se211cams...if I were riding in 130 degree weather, I'd want low compression like this

or you could use a little smaller cam like andrews 54, but the compression would be a little higher

what rpm do you want your power?
What the hell are the specs on the Andrews 54 cam? I cant find any mention of that grind on their website..................

Old 12-20-2008, 06:01 PM
DADAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NTrat
What the hell are the specs on the Andrews 54 cam? I cant find any mention of that grind on their website..................
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...ainCam0708.pdf

its listed in one place on the site with cam specs and not the other lol

Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest having your stock heads ported, call some shops & talk to em about what kind of power you want & where you want it & 2 up riding? Baisley, hillside, T-man, ect. All these guys will shoot you an honest straight combination of parts to get you exactly what your lookin for, and they will fully explain why it's better than a off the shelf SE build! I won't cause I'm tired of arguing with people on here that don't know any better, so I simply point the way to proven shops!

Quick Reply: Which SE head?