Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods TW-6g and TW-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use the 6 510 lift with stock heads with beehive springs.
but this cam really comes alive with some good heads.
also if considering good heads also look at the t-man 590 cam excellant cam very close to the tw6hg cam from woods. suppose to be a bit easier on the valve train and cuts down on noise. now with the 590 lift roller rockers are recomended. and you will have to have the heads set up with stiff springs for the cam. There are a lot more options out there then just woods cams. the andres 37 set up with a good head like the Baisley super street and 95 in motor 9.8 compression will yeild as much power and tq then a tw6 cam and cheaper and quieter also. ...
im not knocking the woods cams but there are other options.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Rider57
Gear drive is great. Get the helical set from woods, even quieter.
You then potentially introduce another set of problems as you have now created axial loads onto bearing races not designed to handle that type of stress. Long term reliability is now???????????

Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I definately want to maintain reliability. Not looking for a monster engine, just some seat of the pants difference and a cam I can build on later if I choose.

Right now the standard TW-6g gear drive set up and the Fat Cat is what I am planning. No head work is planned right now. Also want to keep the stock compression. Do I need new pushrods or anything else with this?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NTrat
You then potentially introduce another set of problems as you have now created axial loads onto bearing races not designed to handle that type of stress. Long term reliability is now???????????
Ran into that with the stock config. Replace the plate with the SE plate.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NTrat
You then potentially introduce another set of problems as you have now created axial loads onto bearing races not designed to handle that type of stress.
When I'd read the recommendation I immediately thought "not unless they're herringbones." To simply replace chains, spurs would be best, noise be damned.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Rider57
Ran into that with the stock config. Replace the plate with the SE plate.
Doesnt matter what plate you use. Its the bearings themselves. Gear drive cams with straight cut gears is just fine and dandy, you get 100% power transfer with no axial loads. When you add helical gears to the cams themselves you are now robbing power a bit and transferring axial stress loads and friction onto both the inner and out cam bearings which are londy designed for radial loads.......and for what? Your outer cam/pinion gears are still traditional straight cut, you still have an old fashioned pushrod engine design. How much quieter can putting helical gears on just the cam gears themselves REALLY make the engine. Its laughable at best......

Last edited by NTrat; 12-16-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
also if considering good heads also look at the t-man 590 cam excellant cam very close to the tw6hg cam from woods. suppose to be a bit easier on the valve train and cuts down on noise. now with the 590 lift roller rockers are recomended. and you will have to have the heads set up with stiff springs for the cam. There are a lot more options out there then just woods cams. the andres 37 set up with a good head like the Baisley super street and 95 in motor 9.8 compression will yeild as much power and tq then a tw6 cam and cheaper and quieter also. ...
im not knocking the woods cams but there are other options.
The Tman TR590 cams are not really close to the Woods 6HG cams. Later intake closing point, significantly more duration and overlap. Tmans TR625g is actually much closer in spec to the Woods 6HG cam.

Cycle-rama's new CR590 cam though I would classify as a punchier version of Woods 5 and 6HG cam. Off idle it is significantly stronger, and its probably due to the reduced I/E overlap.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys keep talking, I'll keep reading. This is like learning chinese, but I am learning.

I know I need the cams, gasket kit, etc. What about adjustable pushrods? Can I keep everything else stock such as my ingnition, clutch spring, etc?