Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

I'M PISSED OFF at myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 11:01 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I'm not looking for a fire breathing torque monster, just a gear drive cam with some low to mid range pull. I'd like to keep everything else stock and maybe do a 95" kit down the road.

Old 12-16-2008 | 01:19 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Originally Posted by WARG
I'm not looking for a fire breathing torque monster, just a gear drive cam with some low to mid range pull. I'd like to keep everything else stock and maybe do a 95" kit down the road.
Hi Kev

Now there is a start to understanding! I think that you need to look very carefully at your riding style, weight of the bike, your weight and what you carry, and your performance expectations.

When you read a thread that looks like: "My build is. . . and I really like. . . ". You need to keep in mind that those folks are not you and more than likely you will not like the results as much as they did. "One size definitely does not fit all", I suggest that you start asking yourself what do you want your build to do for you.

"Not knowing Jack" isn't going to get cured by taking your bike to a builder, unless he/she takes the time to ask you a lot of questions that you should have already asked yourself. Asking a builder to give you more HP or torque could get real expensive real fast. Some guys preceive things in their own terms, ie. He wants a "nitro dragster" others (HD dealers) may hear "ahhh, he wants the Stage II Screaching Beagle Kit".

There are a lot of guys that frequent this board that actually "do know Jack $hit", I'm sure they will introduce you just ask. Start by defining yourself in terms of dimensions, the type of rider you are, the equipment that you have added or want to add, etc.

Best of luck,

Pixs

Old 12-16-2008 | 05:37 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master

Originally Posted by WARG
I would recommend the RR525 gear drive cam because it will keep on giving when you port the heads and raise the compression. I'm putting one together in an R&R inner billet cam plate for a guy in Warren now. I'm setting it up in the plate with the quick install bearing kit so all he has to do is replace the two inner cam bearings and drop the gear set and plate in. I'm including a 07 factory oil pump for the better volume and pressure. R&R does not make the billet plate for the early pump bolt pattern because most of the older pumps have wear damage and the new pump is better and half the money. Lots of these cams get used in baggers for the low end torque and the cooler running.

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:04 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Kev, I don't want to hijack your thread, but based on your PM, you are looking for info just like me.

I am 6'0" and about 230lbs. I ride solo 99% of the time. I ride about 3000 miles a year due to my travel schedule at work. Half of these miles are on road trips a couple weekends a year. The rest is local, around town, day trip type stuff. I could care less about HP at 6000 rpm or about going 150 mph. I want to get from 0 to 60 ASAP and would like more torque in the low and mid ranges.
BUT...I want reliability. I am not a mechanic but have nominal knowledge about my bike. I have done most of my own mods and services, but no engine stuff. I just want to maintain reliability while getting my hp/tq up a bit.

Kingofcubes, I have no plans to port the heads or raise compression. A 95" kit may come later, but that would be it. Per my last dyno I'm at about 74 hp/77 tq. If I can get that up to 85/90 or maybe even 88/93, and still be able to rider her accross the country with confidence I'll get there then I'll be happy.
thanks

Old 12-17-2008 | 06:45 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

I would recommend getting in touch with PhilM, he's right around Dallas and is very handy around the Harley motor.

Steve

Old 12-17-2008 | 10:05 PM
6 gun
|
Ultimate HDF Member

WARG
You don't have any buisness worrying about hijacking my thread,
shoot man, I'll give it to ya. I've calmed down some what and now that I
listen to what Pixs had to say and I realized that what I have is actuly
more than enough bike to take care of my wife and I. I'll pm ya asap with
some good ideas that i think you may like

Now for the rest my of friends on here I respect your thoughts and wisdom
and I think you greatly for them. ......................kev

Old 12-18-2008 | 12:24 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
I would recommend getting in touch with PhilM, he's right around Dallas and is very handy around the Harley motor.

Steve
I have not ruled Phil out, he has offered his assistance to me. I just don't want to bother him until I have the cash in hand to start ordering parts. I have asked Phil numerous questions and he has always been very helpful. He actually got me in touch with the guy who built the map on my PCIII. Phil can tell you, I started asking these questions shortly after buying the bike almost 3 years ago. But now, I have gotten most of the shiny stuff out of the way and am down to the big 3 (wheels, paint, and performance). So, I just have to decide where I want to drop the coin. Paint is definately last, it's like getting a new bike after several years and I still like my stock paint color. Phil also turned me on to the D&D Fat Cat which will be added when I change cams.

Old 12-29-2008 | 02:53 PM
R Bryce
Stage II
Default Mutant Motors

How to cantact Wolfgang Grasser AKA Mutant Motors..
He is really buzy, new house, new shop, moving new equipment.. yada yada..
build for 09 shootout, bonneville build.. but he is buzy because nobody does it like him.. if you want heads that will flow the number to call is

Ph: 713-473-8122

Old 12-29-2008 | 02:57 PM
R Bryce
Stage II
Default Btw

If you want it to run.... it is all about air speed, and that takes place in the heads... along with the right cam and a fuel delivery system to match..

Just like Burger King.. you can have it your way... but it is a system, and it has to be built..