Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Installing the Screamin' Eagle air kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing the Screamin' Eagle air kit

So how hard is it to do? Looks pretty simple but I am concerned about removing the fuel tank. The instructions say it must be removed so that you can uninstall and disgard the old support bracket. Any way to do this without removing the tank? I have never removed an HD tank and not sure I want to now.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
flhrc07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air breather

I am having the SE air breather put on with the Fuel pak and believe me for the 150 bucks that it is costing me well worth it!! Plus you know and hope you have faith in ur dealer that it will be done right and worry free, just my opinion but again what is a 150 bucks, you do own a harley!!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flhrc07
I am having the SE air breather put on with the Fuel pak and believe me for the 150 bucks that it is costing me well worth it!! Plus you know and hope you have faith in ur dealer that it will be done right and worry free, just my opinion but again what is a 150 bucks, you do own a harley!!

I have the kit and it looks too simple to pay them to do, the tank removal is my only concern. It's just remove 2 screws and 5 bolts and install 5 bolts, done....the 2 screws are why they say remove the tank, but I know there's another way to get to them....I need to actually pull the a/c off and visualize it, haven't done that yet, too cold out there and my shed is not heated.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 12-05-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you can do it--removing the tank is simple go look at the bolt going through the front of the frame, remove the seat and the bolt holding tank to the top of the frame . It's a peacock holding the gas line on to the tank that is a lift up and take off. [I] don't see anything on my 08 RG that needs to be taken off to install the breather.

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
So how hard is it to do? Looks pretty simple but I am concerned about removing the fuel tank. The instructions say it must be removed so that you can uninstall and disgard the old support bracket. Any way to do this without removing the tank? I have never removed an HD tank and not sure I want to now.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tank removal on 08+ is a 5-10 minute job..super easy.no cross over hose underneath to worry about..remove the seat ,couple bolts frt and rear ,quick release fuel line..couldn't be simpler..easier than my kids cr85 dirt bike

Old 12-06-2008, 02:05 PM
miamistretch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

riding an 08 flhtp, the guy who does all of my engine performance work said he leaves the bracket on and does some machine work to the back of the ac backing plate. he feels the weight of the fbw device needs the support of that bracket. i know there are thousands of bikes out there that have had the bracket removed with no trouble, but has anyone experienced any problems? money is a little tight for me so i was planning to do the stage 1 myself, but i'm on the fence because i respect my builders opinion and his track record. should i take the bracket off, pony up the cash and follow his advise, or has anyone done this machining process to the backing plate and can let me know if i can possibly do it myself? thanks.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by miamistretch
riding an 08 flhtp, the guy who does all of my engine performance work said he leaves the bracket on and does some machine work to the back of the ac backing plate. he feels the weight of the fbw device needs the support of that bracket. i know there are thousands of bikes out there that have had the bracket removed with no trouble, but has anyone experienced any problems? money is a little tight for me so i was planning to do the stage 1 myself, but i'm on the fence because i respect my builders opinion and his track record. should i take the bracket off, pony up the cash and follow his advise, or has anyone done this machining process to the backing plate and can let me know if i can possibly do it myself? thanks.

From what I can see with the directions diagram is that bracket is there to hold the original backplate only, it serves no other purpose. But I am also wondering why it would not be needed with the Screamin' Eagle kit. Is the kit that much lighter? Wouldn't the more support the better no matter the weight? One other thing, it says on the box "Installation of this product may reduce or void your Harley-Davidson new vehicle warranty" WTF???

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you can some how use the bracket for additional support you should do it; it is really not had; once you take the tank off (move it up to see) you should have a clear picture on how it functions--this is really easy don't make it difficult
From what I can see with the directions diagram is that bracket is there to hold the original backplate only, it serves no other purpose. But I am also wondering why it would not be needed with the Screamin' Eagle kit. Is the kit that much lighter? Wouldn't the more support the better no matter the weight? One other thing, it says on the box "Installation of this product may reduce or void your Harley-Davidson new vehicle warranty" WTF???

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

One other thing, it says on the box "Installation of this product may reduce or void your Harley-Davidson new vehicle warranty" WTF???
Yep! That is why I had my dealer install my stage1 a/c & pipes at my 1000 mile service. They said if they did the install then they would not void my warranty as they knew it would be done correctly and not be the cause of any issues. I think they charged me 2 hours labor. You may wish to investigate before you dig into it. Worth the $$ to me not to have any after the fact arguments.