Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuel Gauge Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
phtby
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problems

Has anyone had problems with their fuel gauge being stuck on empty. My bike is a 2004 Fatboy (carb) and can't seem to find the problem. Any help would be great!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:06 AM
01flhtc
Novice
Default RE: Fuel Gauge Problems

phtby,
I have an 01' FLHTC carbed and I just replaced my fuel sending unit last week. I checked with the stealer and they asked if I filled my tank all the way up and I told them I did. Their response was that because I filled the tank to the top that the float got bent. I knew at this point that I was talking to the wrong person. If what they said was the truth it would register full not EMPTY! I ordered the part and I thing it was about $67. Installed it myself. I did have to change the wiring connector on the bike to fit new connector on fuel sending unit. Problem is now fixed and the fuel level now seems to be more accurate than when it was new. Every since it was new the "low fuel" light would come on at about 1/2 tank.
When I took out the old sending unit, I looked at it very closely. What appeared to be the problem is that float rod rides on a electrical contacts on a circuit board in on the unit. The rod connecting point is very sloppy due to wear and was not making contact. Turned the unit on over and it is stamped "MADE IN JAPAN"! Nough said.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Fergusonic
Cruiser

Mine is not on empty but it is inaccurate in the other direction.....last night I was throwing some wax on the tanks and discovered that the fuel gage had popped up out of the tank! I shoved it back in .....hope I don't have trouble with it.....I am so use to paying no attention to it. Tripometer.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is the Float rod.... The rod end sticks out past the float about 1/4 inch too far..... Remedy is to take out the sending unit and cut off the nub past the float....

Done a ton of them....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
phtby
1st Gear

Thanks for the information. I laughed when I read about your experience with the dealership as that is why I don't want to go to the dealership first. I think it may be the wiring, as it happened after I washed the bike. Where is the wiring for the sending unit located? Your help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:24 AM
HD96Ultra
5th Gear

Mine stay full forever, as it may be hanging uo and then it drops like a rock.....not very sensitive....Where is the sending unit on a 2000 Ultra and how hard is it to get out?
Thanks

Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Sending unit is Dead Center of the Tank, under the console for the CB......

Yours could be a bent rod......

Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

If it is due to water, try electric grease - like they put on old car light bulbs - I did this with a combo tach speedometer, where the tach would go wacy after washing and now have no problems

Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 AM
HD96Ultra
5th Gear

Thanks! I will try it.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On FL's the gauge unit can get hung up on the pickup hose giving you a false read. There is about 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag in there. Check to see that the float isn't getting hung up and reroute the hose.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problems