Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

HP Limitations ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HP Limitations ?

Trying to come up with a build for my 07 softail. If possible I'd like to rework my stock crank and keep the stock tb. Looking for good low- mid range torque and power as the rev limit will be set to 5600-5800 anyway. My main concern is the narrow drive belt not holding up. The plan is for 113-117 ci, but thoughts and suggestions from experienced engine builders on these matters would be good. At what point would the injectors need changing to accommodate larger builds?
Ron

Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats a maybe on the injectors depending on the build
The drive belt is also a maybe depending on how you ride. I beat the **** out of my 117 and now my belt is stretched beyond adjustment.
Yes the stock crank can be revamped by darkhorse.
the stock throttle body can be used as well, but always best to match all parts of a build combination.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
rbabos
Banned

Thanks. I didn't realize these carbon belts would stretch. Thought one minute it's there, and the next, not
Ron

Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
VRYQUIK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a website that may help with the injector size problem http://injector.com/injectorselection.php. Scroll to the bottom and use the "Fuel Injector Max Capacity Worksheet". The HD injectors are measured in grams per second. You will need to convert this to lbs per hour. It seems like that the 3.91 gs/sec = 31 lbs --- 4.35 = 34.5 lbs --- 4.89 = 38.8

It's probably less that you would think.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Our EFI tuner generally uses the HP Inc "yellow band" injectors on most of the 117" builds we send to him. www.joescyclerepair.com

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
rbabos
Banned

Thanks both for the injector info. I see some won't work with stock ecm? I have a tmax now, so I guess that needs to be taken into account as well. Amazing how critical all this stuff gets. If the pressures not up to spec everything goes for a crap at the top end.
Still don't know how many ponies the narrow belt can stand?
Ron

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
VRYQUIK
Advanced

I don't know about the thin belt but, my 2007 Ultra has 170+ hp and 190+ tq and surprisingly I haven't had any problems with the belt. I had a 2003 Electra Glide Standard w/106 ci and a turbo that broke three belts before I converted to a chain.

I'm using the "stage two" injectors from www.injector.com . I have a client that is using the Thundermax and has the same stage two injectors also with one of my nitrous kits.

Last edited by VRYQUIK; 11-13-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
skyhook
Tourer

chain is definitely king at 117"...it'd be interesting to see how welded/trued crank with stock left bearing would hold up...my boss and I believe timken unnecessary...I have a hot 110" with 9k mile stock bottom end no probs

Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent my crank to darkhorse to be welded,balanced and new rods,I am not getting the timkin bearing done,my 113 engine will be mainly for touring on my roadglide not drag racing,so I think the stock bearing should be fine,from what I have read the weak link is the crank so I figured I should address this problem at the very least.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
rbabos
Banned

CDN. RG, skyhook: In all reality I don't think the stock roller is as bad as it's made out to be if operated in a sane manner and capped at a realistic hp. Thing is, at least for me, going through all that work I will spend the extra coin on the bottom end and hopefully never have to look at it again. I plan on keeping this one until I quit riding . The timkin is like piece of mind for me. Even though I just turned 56 my throttle hand reverts to an 18 year old occaisonally
Ron

Quick Reply: HP Limitations ?