Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

head work for SE 103 big bore w/255 cams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:46 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lkr0
on my first build I knew one thing; I did not want to do it again.

i took one suggestions and that is I talked to all the MAJOR companys except for S&S (no response) it came down to a choice of HQs and GMR -- both were complimetary in price and expectations.

I felt more comfortable with HQs they talked me out getting a lot of unnesscessary stuff that they could have easily sold me ---- all I wanted was a build that would be reliable, do rolling burnouts, clutch induced wheelies, and get sideways--I did a HQs 103 on my 07 SG -- it was the right choice for me.

I now have HQs 107 on my RG -- I'm still getting it dialed in but I have already got the front tire in the air--have to practice in the privacy of my cul de sac on the rolling burnouts and getting it sideways -- until I know 99% of the time what this b will do I'll keep practicing

You have so many options -- choose the best one for you -- and I would not rule out a 120--that will be my next build

It is imperative you get parts that compliment each other -- this I found out from members on this board
I'm trying to figure out what would work/compliment together. as far as a 120" build...maybe someday on my next scoot.

Old 10-25-2008 | 02:42 AM
skyhook
Tourer

call baisley high performance...they have had excellent results with 103, ported heads, se255 combo...go to latus h-d website...they have a forum with dyno charts to prove it...baisley's setup makes more lowrange and midrange torque than some much larger engines

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:11 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by brypink
This post interest me the most. Even though I said I'm not worried about price, I still shop around, do research and make a decision on all factors at a given price point. But, a lower price with all good factors...I like.

You and another member said these are good heads. I will definitely check them out. Do you recommend Andrews 37g cams with these heads and my SE 103"?

Again, thanks for your time.

The Andrews 37g cams are good no nonsense low to midrange power cams and they work VERY WELL with the NRHS stage 1 porting job. Its an excellent bang for the buck setup. I know Dan at NRHS very well and he will steer you in the right direction.

A good second choice is R&R Cycles in Manchester NH. They are right down the street from me literally, and I have know Reg. Jr. for YEARS. He also does some very good work and is a very reputable man in the industry. But I still feel that at the $550 price point, the NRHS CNC job is a better BANG for the BUCK. They are an excellent compliment to grinds like the Andrews 37g and Woods TW-6 cams.

Anyway here are the websites to both places: http://www.nrhsperformance.com http://www.rrcycles.com

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:48 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Question 96 to 103

I recently posted on "another 103 question" however- i hope to get more information regarding my 103 build.

I e-mailed to Dan Baisley about head work and he was really cool getting back to me- they will do the heads for sure.

My Indy and Baisley did not see a need to bump up my CR from stock with my Redshift cam, just suggested roller rockers.

I notice that most othr builds of the 103 variety are running more CR in their builds, will my 103 be a dog if the CR is not changed?

Anyone know what the CVO 103 CR is and what hp and trq they make?

I am not looking for three digit HP and Trq, just some more roll on power and slightly more punch = more smile per mile.

thanks,

Mark

Old 10-26-2008 | 06:43 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior

I would listen to the indy who I presume is doing the work and the baisley for the heads and cams to go with your setup.

I run 9-8 comp with my 103, runs great............I have no comp releases dont need them
didnot have them on my 95" dyna either.

The nutcase I rode with today( what a beauty it was here in south eastern ma} has a 103
with all the toys, 10.5-1 comp, with realeases ,, thundermax, woods cams etc......
doesnot pull away from me, we have raced to many times to count, rolling starts, dead starts , topend etc.......

there are many on this board who know there stuff, but unless they are working on your bike??? stick with your indy.........Im sure baisley will steer you in right direction.

Old 10-26-2008 | 07:29 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
The Andrews 37g cams are good no nonsense low to midrange power cams and they work VERY WELL with the NRHS stage 1 porting job. Its an excellent bang for the buck setup. I know Dan at NRHS very well and he will steer you in the right direction.

A good second choice is R&R Cycles in Manchester NH. They are right down the street from me literally, and I have know Reg. Jr. for YEARS. He also does some very good work and is a very reputable man in the industry. But I still feel that at the $550 price point, the NRHS CNC job is a better BANG for the BUCK. They are an excellent compliment to grinds like the Andrews 37g and Woods TW-6 cams.

Anyway here are the websites to both places: http://www.nrhsperformance.com http://www.rrcycles.com
Thanks again for your advice.

Old 10-27-2008 | 09:54 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

I notice that most other builds of the 103 variety are running more CR in their builds, will my 103 be a dog if the CR is not changed from stock 9:2:1 ?

Old 10-28-2008 | 08:22 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I notice that most other builds of the 103 variety are running more CR in their builds, will my 103 be a dog if the CR is not changed from stock 9:2:1 ?
A full point bump in compression might gain you 5-10 hp assuming your cams specs will work well with it without timing and detonation issues. But at the lower compression point your ride isnt going to be a "dog". If anything, it is a bit easier to tune and is going to be potentially more forgiving on the octane you use at the pump.

Old 10-28-2008 | 08:52 AM
new_mentor70
Tourer

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
no, if the right cams and heads are chosen, it should still have good torque.