Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

head work for SE 103 big bore w/255 cams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:15 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

If you want a FULL port job and don't want to break the bank look at NRHSperformance. I don't know of any better deal than the $550 they offer for a FULL CNC computer spec'd port job(which basically means their own port design is duplicated without error or inconsistency issues over and over again),new guides and seals, resurface the valves, deck milled, cc'd and flowbench tested. I can't think of another place that performs all of that for around $500. And their heads perform very well. Get your heads done by them and get a good set of bolt-in cams to compliment the heads and CR and 100/100 numbers with a good FULL powerband is a garenteed thing. I recommended em highly. I did a set of these and the Andrews 37g cams, he got 105/105 numbers and his torque curve was over 90 from 2000rpms to over 5500.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:49 AM
drhooligan
Tourer

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
If you want a FULL port job and don't want to break the bank look at NRHSperformance. I don't know of any better deal than the $550 they offer for a FULL CNC computer spec'd port job(which basically means their own port design is duplicated without error or inconsistency issues over and over again),new guides and seals, resurface the valves, deck milled, cc'd and flowbench tested. I can't think of another place that performs all of that for around $500. And their heads perform very well. Get your heads done by them and get a good set of bolt-in cams to compliment the heads and CR and 100/100 numbers with a good FULL powerband is a garenteed thing. I recommended em highly. I did a set of these and the Andrews 37g cams, he got 105/105 numbers and his torque curve was over 90 from 2000rpms to over 5500.
You don't don't hear much about NRHS on this site. I've heard that they do very nice work with good results. I know a couple guys that had them do up Sportster heads and were very pleased. I didn't realize that they did that much for 500 bucks.

Old 10-24-2008 | 12:31 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by drhooligan
You don't don't hear much about NRHS on this site. I've heard that they do very nice work with good results. I know a couple guys that had them do up Sportster heads and were very pleased. I didn't realize that they did that much for 500 bucks.
NRHS is really popular on Sporty forums, but the headwork they do on EVO's and Twincams is just as good. Their "Stage 1" CNC portjobs are IMO the best bang for the buck I have ever seen. They make great power, and the job is very thorough and complete.

When it comes to people on a budget who want the most bang for their buck from headwork, I would put them at #1.

Old 10-24-2008 | 03:41 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

Branch Heads are not far from you. They are in Signal Hill near Long Beach. Mine work great.

1940 Freeman Ave.
Signal Hill, CA.
562-498-1819

www.branchokeefe.com

Last edited by Steelknee57; 10-24-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 04:19 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I figure going whole hog on the heads is a given, but it's your $$$.

I'm not sure to take your reply seriously or not given your LOL, but I kinda thought the above line in my previous post kinda summed up what I was suggesting. Sorry I mislead you.
The weakest link in the 'build' equation is lack of decent flow through the stock heads. The stockers as they are, are 'iffy' at best on an 88" TC. How could they possibly be acceptable for a 95", 96" or 103" build?
Decent headwork increases the efficiency of the motor immensely, hence there are 120" builds offering up great numbers and rideability running around getting real decent gas mileage.

CN
Yep, just didn't quite understand "going whole hog" at first, but dont fret...I do now. Again, in my first post...I stated I realized after the fact that I should have done some head work.

It's all good. Thanks for your advice and the further explanation.

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:23 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tattoofreaksb
Might even want to check into some Baisley heads Bry. I see it didn't take you long to start with the audio....lol Ex4me from over on the F150 site. Haven't been there in a loooong time. http://www.baisley.com
What's up man? Yeah, I've run into a couple guys here that are or use to be regulars on F150online and the FIRST thing they ask is about my stereo or plans for the stereo set-up for the Street Glide. LOL

I haven't been on that forum for quite some time too. I've put all of my time, effort and money into my bike.

I'll check out the Baisley site. Thanks!

Bryan

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:27 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kingofcubes
You can get a good torque curve in to the 3 digits just by using the RR525 cam with 103 pistons set up with the right compression and squish. Many people consider price only which is a 1 time thing, cost goes on and on. I'm more cost conscious and like the CNC ported R&R stuff as it takes out the core shift and tunes much easier and not as much dyno and tune time is requires. I have recently sold several sets of these heads to people who were not completely satisfied with their hand ported heads.
R&R? Website or phone number? I like the fact that they tune easier. Thanks.

Last edited by Big Twi$t; 10-24-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 04:28 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

on my first build I knew one thing; I did not want to do it again.

i took one suggestions and that is I talked to all the MAJOR companys except for S&S (no response) it came down to a choice of HQs and GMR -- both were complimetary in price and expectations.

I felt more comfortable with HQs they talked me out getting a lot of unnesscessary stuff that they could have easily sold me ---- all I wanted was a build that would be reliable, do rolling burnouts, clutch induced wheelies, and get sideways--I did a HQs 103 on my 07 SG -- it was the right choice for me.

I now have HQs 107 on my RG -- I'm still getting it dialed in but I have already got the front tire in the air--have to practice in the privacy of my cul de sac on the rolling burnouts and getting it sideways -- until I know 99% of the time what this b will do I'll keep practicing

You have so many options -- choose the best one for you -- and I would not rule out a 120--that will be my next build

It is imperative you get parts that compliment each other -- this I found out from members on this board

Last edited by lkr0; 10-24-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 04:41 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
This post interest me the most. Even though I said I'm not worried about price, I still shop around, do research and make a decision on all factors at a given price point. But, a lower price with all good factors...I like.

You and another member said these are good heads. I will definitely check them out. Do you recommend Andrews 37g cams with these heads and my SE 103"?

Again, thanks for your time.

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:41 PM
Big Twi$t
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steelknee57
Branch Heads are not far you. They are in Signal Hill near Long Beach. Mine work great.

1940 Freeman Ave.
Signal Hill, CA.
562-498-1819

www.branchokeefe.com
Thanks.

Quick Reply: head work for SE 103 big bore w/255 cams?