Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Short shots / other 2 into 2 pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
aal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shots / other 2 into 2 pipes

I posted a previous question, about the difference between v & h straight shots vs. short shots, but I guess no one's had them both. I'll broaden the question: Anyone had other 2 into 2 pipes and short shots? If so, are the short shots really much different, performance wise. I have straight shots, but am thinking about the short shots. The few people I've spoken with that seem to have some experience with both say the short shots really are not noticeably different. I know I should get a 2 into 1 for performance, but looks are important to me also. If the short shots are really pretty similar to most other 2 into 2's then that's ok with me. If they really are noticeably worse, then I'm probably not interested.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
mcristia
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short shots / other 2 into 2 pipes

A 2-2 pipe system is going to take away from the performance to start with. You are able to tune a carburated to get close to optimal performance. A fuel injected bike is hard to put a good map on with 2-2's. I just went through this with my RK. The shorts vs. striaghts on a carbed bike will just need a little fine tuning. Ride hard and loud. Later

Old 04-08-2006, 10:06 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Short shots / other 2 into 2 pipes

Seems like I keep referring back to the discussions I've had recently with the performance guy at a nearby HD dealership. But, this is one of the things we specifically discussed so, I'll go back to it again. I currently have Short Shots on my own bike. He recommended dumping the Short Shots and going to Big Shots or Straight Shots.

According to him the equal length of the Short Shots is a good design but, they're too short and are costing me horsepower. Apparently, the exhaust gas scavenging with the Shorts Shots isn't as effect as with the Big Shots or Straight Shots. He related a incident where a customer with a high performance engine (making about 130 HP) dumped his bike and damaged his Big Shots. He had a set of Short Shots which he put on the bike. They dynoed the bike with the Short Shots and found that it had lost 10-12 HP.

What I can tell you specifically about the Shorts Shots it that I would not recommend running them without the baffles. When I bought my Fatboy, the PO had removed the baffles and had misplaced them. I decided to purchase new baffles simply to have the tips. I was planning to cut the baffles back or completely off and just use the tips. There is a slight difference in the sound (sounds better without the baffles). However, the bike runs considerably better (smoother) with the baffles. I guess the small amount of back pressure provided by the baffles makes a huge difference in the way the bike runs.

Hope this helps.