Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
1bd99stc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Baffles

Hello everyone!! I am looking into putting baffles in my pipes. I did a search here on the Big City Thunder baffles and it appears they are a good product. I have a 99 FXSTC that is stock with the exception of the Samson Ground Pounders with torque cones. I am removing the torque cones and putting in baffles,but I am unsure what to buy. Is anyone running this set up and what do you think. I am thinking of buying the quiet series. I am not real crazy about the sound of the bike now,but I don't want to buy new pipes either. It's freakin loud!!! Will these baffles quit it a little bit and give it a deaper tone?
Thank you

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What size are your pipes? I have Samson Rip Saws. They are 1-3/4" OD and 1-5/16" ID. They come without baffles. There are not too many choices of aftermarket baffles for my size pipes. I ended up getting Khrome Werks HP Drag pipe baffles. They probably quieted the pipes down from a 10 to a 9.5, not a huge difference. There is no reason to remove your torque cones, if anything taking them out will hurt your performance. I have Power Cones in mine.
The only Thunder baffles you can get for drag pipes, if that is what you got, are the pipe reducer and lollipop type. Their only function is to restore low end power, that is lost from using drag pipes. They will not lower the sound level at all.
Check out the permanent post at the top of the Exhaust forum on drag pipes. it tells you how to make your own baffles. They will be just like the Thunder ones.
The previous owner put on the pipes which are very loud, with my 103" engine. The bike runs so good with them that I hate to spend the money for a new exhaust and then have to do a re-tune, so I have left them on for the last 2 years.
Tom

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
1bd99stc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are 2 1/4 OD. I looked at Samsons website and the list a 1 3/4 baffle for the 2 1/4 pipes. Big City Thunder lists a baffle for the 2 1/4 pipes but I need to measure the ID of mine to be sure. I read many Tech articles on power cones and several opinion articles on power cones and the general consensis is that they do more bad than good. I found the tech article that made the most sense here on the forum somewhere.
Ryan

Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The original owner put the Rip Saws on with the power cones installed. Everything I have read said that drag pipes cost you low and mid range power and all they contribute is noise.
It may be the 1-5/16" ID pipes with the 103" engine, but my SE Fat Boy runs great with this setup and it has the power cones.
The only complaint I have is the excessively loud exhaust volume. The reason I have not changed the exhaust, is my fear that after doing so the bike will never run as well, even after re-tuning.
With your 2-1/4' OD pipes, there should be a large selection of after market baffles. The Thunder regular baffles are not going to quiet your exhaust much. I would get the longest baffles and if they were too quiet for your taste, shorten them a little at a time until they sound right.
Your OD size Samson's should have come with baffles. I would think your bike would run pretty crappy running those pipes without baffles.
Tom