Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my previous bike was an evo motor that I put an S&S 45/8 stroker crank in ,I ran the guts out of it for 65,000 miles and it still ran as strong as the first day the motor was built,a buddy bought it off me last spring and has been riding it all summer so there is probably 70000 on it now and he says it still pulls like a freight train,uses about a quart of oil every 3000 miles but has since the motor was first built hasn't gotten any worse with mileage,so I don't think there will be any ill effects from using the stock stroke 43/8 flywheels in my 07 roadglide when I build my motor this winter, I will say the evo did vibrate a little more after I stroked the motor,but nothing to major.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
Super, While I do agree with your general theory on the stroke vs bore argument, I don't see it as important enough to change out my crank and de-stroke it. If I do open the case i will replace the bearings and have my crank done up right so it is strong enough to take the beating I give it. If the case is open, might as well bore it. This will lessen the forces on the cylinder walls and help improve the rod ratio. I will also change the compenstor while I'm at it.

I saw a reply on this thread somewhere that said something about the wrist pin being moved up into the ring landings as compared to 88 pistons. You are mistaken (whoever that was). It is my understanding that they used a shorter rod in the 96. This kept the wrist pin down in the piston but may have compounded the effects of the longer stroke on the crankcase and cylinder walls. That is why I figure....if I'm opening it up anyway and if I was going to go with a bigger bore anyway....why not go ahead and make it quite a bit bigger and delete the negative affects of the stroker while increasing overall displacement?
On the orignal SE twin cam stroker crank the wrist pin had to be moved into the ringlands to keep stock deck height.

If your saying that the new cranks have shorter connecting rods where the wristpin is back below the ringlands that would make for a real crappy RS ratio.................. I haven't opened up the newer 96" but curiosity is now getting to me. I may have to take a trip up North talk to Reg about the 96"ers.............

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 10-19-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
RK100
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree HarleyPingman! It's bizarre how SuperAchmed comes on here and touts this & that-"their head work is terrible", SERT is outdated-DTT is great(got one for sale-wished I hadn't wasted my hard earned dollars & I would believe & trust Doc 1's opinion in regards to the TTS Mastertune that just came out over yours any day-IMHO)!! And to top it off he makes flat out opinions & then comes back, when confronted, w/ "I haven't looked @ them in 4-5 yrs!-Duh!! 1. Also, it seems a little odd that he has NEVER heard of Darkhorse Crankworks(Hoban Bros.), 2. Axtell cylinders(which I have heard nothing but good things about & I will go with on my next build),-another guy posted on a buddy's build w/Axtell's & he had to send them back to them for not uniform roundness & then turns around & opines that it was that guys fault! If he's got problems with the builders on any of the forums I think they all have phone #'s, be a, as he calls it "a professional" & personally take it up with them instead of bashing on them. (And YES, that's the way your posts come off!!), I think we need a biker build-off, then track & dyno time! Now that's what it's all about! Maybe we can get Steve, Randy, Reggie, Doc, Scott, Otto, GRock, Ron, Dewey & all the other great builders out there to chime in to see if that's possible! One last thing. I can't thank all the above mentioned builders enough for their time & expertise freely given on these forums- THEY ARE THE TRUE "PROFESSIONALS"-IMHO!!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by RK100
I agree HarleyPingman! It's bizarre how SuperAchmed comes on here and touts this & that-"their head work is terrible", SERT is outdated-DTT is great(got one for sale-wished I hadn't wasted my hard earned dollars & I would believe & trust Doc 1's opinion in regards to the TTS Mastertune that just came out over yours any day-IMHO)!! And to top it off he makes flat out opinions & then comes back, when confronted, w/ "I haven't looked @ them in 4-5 yrs!-Duh!! 1. Also, it seems a little odd that he has NEVER heard of Darkhorse Crankworks(Hoban Bros.), 2. Axtell cylinders(which I have heard nothing but good things about & I will go with on my next build),-another guy posted on a buddy's build w/Axtell's & he had to send them back to them for not uniform roundness & then turns around & opines that it was that guys fault! If he's got problems with the builders on any of the forums I think they all have phone #'s, be a, as he calls it "a professional" & personally take it up with them instead of bashing on them. (And YES, that's the way your posts come off!!), I think we need a biker build-off, then track & dyno time! Now that's what it's all about! Maybe we can get Steve, Randy, Reggie, Doc, Scott, Otto, GRock, Ron, Dewey & all the other great builders out there to chime in to see if that's possible! One last thing. I can't thank all the above mentioned builders enough for their time & expertise freely given on these forums- THEY ARE THE TRUE "PROFESSIONALS"-IMHO!!
LOL, funny post. Many folks here focus and twist things for their own doing.

Ill focus quickly on the Axtell comment.

Axtell had a set that of jugs that needed to repaired/replaced. I assume one(most likely alot more than that), but blamed the builder. Can you state that there was no builder error at all for FACT?

Even so, you mention alot of builders names, you think none of them have ever made mistakes or had builds go wrong due to their error or not? You act like everyone of these people are infallable. Pathetic!

I find it amusing that I made some opinions of what I felt was a better route to go in terms of practices and design concepts(in the case of the oversquare/undersquare concept).........yet I really havent seen any good posts dicounting what I said backed up with good fundamental facts. Mostly hearsay and opinions.......... The best replies normally went along the lines of "Ive been doing it for X amount of years" so it must be ok and there isnt another or better way possible, LOL!

Got a TFCI? Really? Why you selling? Clicking or unclicking the parameter box too hard? You did read the disclaimer right? TFCI's are not for BOZO's. Even though I think Bozo the clown could get one up and running without a hitch........

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 10-19-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
jims95sg
Banned

you kinda look like bozo the clown setting on somebodt elses bike with that <i ant got a freaking clue>look on your face. your middle name is hussein right??

Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM
RK100
Advanced

O.K.- let me think a second! Done!! You are the one that definitely has an ATTITUDE!! That one is a "no brainer"!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
RK100
Advanced

Hey SA(A Messiah- "in his own mind")!! I didn't state that I was anything but an interested bystander on this forum, but I've found that alot of folks can read but not alot of them can comprehend such as you. As far as the DTT: 1. Terrible customer service!! 2. "Jump all over" instructions- again, terrible!! 3. You are right in the sense "not for novice" and that was my mistake because I am not a computer guy(was born a little earlier than you son, that's when we had to figure it out on our own, not with a computer) by any means but if you think the DTT is a "plug in and it will auto tune your putt", please don't mislead guys on here. And I've heard that people that are "master mechanics" with over 20 yrs experience feel the same way. Apparently you have not read alot of the guys posts on other forums who have the DTT's for sale- CHEAP!! "Poser"- I didn't see a dyno sheet w/ those #'s you posted on your bike. Great, if you do but I don't really care because your ATTITUDE says everything about you as other people on here can see also. All the people(builders) I mentioned here have spent many hours helping other people here & on other forums and are trusted for non-attitude opinions & expertise. In other words, with your ATTITUDE- I for one wouldn't trust you. No hype-just don't trust individuals that think they know it all!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by jims95sg
you kinda look like bozo the clown setting on somebodt elses bike with that <i ant got a freaking clue>look on your face. your middle name is hussein right??
That almost sounds racist, I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who would consider that comment "crossing the line".

I think your just jealous that you don;t have a pretty mug like me. Besides I want to be on the next Geico commercial. "So easy even a caveman can do it" Thats how I look at Harley's anyway........

Do you honestly know why I made the Bozo comment? First thing on the TFCI page that states "NO BOZOS" should be using the TFCI product. But in all honestly it isn't a hard product to setup.

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 10-19-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by RK100
Hey SA(A Messiah- "in his own mind")!! I didn't state that I was anything but an interested bystander on this forum, but I've found that alot of folks can read but not alot of them can comprehend such as you. As far as the DTT: 1. Terrible customer service!! 2. "Jump all over" instructions- again, terrible!! 3. You are right in the sense "not for novice" and that was my mistake because I am not a computer guy(was born a little earlier than you son, that's when we had to figure it out on our own, not with a computer) by any means but if you think the DTT is a "plug in and it will auto tune your putt", please don't mislead guys on here. And I've heard that people that are "master mechanics" with over 20 yrs experience feel the same way. Apparently you have not read alot of the guys posts on other forums who have the DTT's for sale- CHEAP!! "Poser"- I didn't see a dyno sheet w/ those #'s you posted on your bike. Great, if you do but I don't really care because your ATTITUDE says everything about you as other people on here can see also. All the people(builders) I mentioned here have spent many hours helping other people here & on other forums and are trusted for non-attitude opinions & expertise. In other words, with your ATTITUDE- I for one wouldn't trust you. No hype-just don't trust individuals that think they know it all!!!
I'll respond:

1. Terrible customer service? Chris Shroeder normally gives out his PERSONAL cell # for those in need of help and has always been one for great customer service to folks like myself and many others. Can't please everyone, but to say its terrible tells me that maybe your not the type that should be tinkering on your own ride anyway. Some people have mechanical aptitude and some people don't.
2. "Jump all over" instructions? You will need to explain further on this point of yours...........I found em pretty straight forward. 3 Seperate instruction sets. A. Physical installation B. Software setup. C. Software control and modification/troubleshooting.
3. Lot of jumbled together sentences.......your older, no big deal. Lots of DTT's for sale? Im sure, lots of FI controllers for sale period by many brands, whats this prove. "Poser"? LOL! What constitues a "poser" there? I ride year round, I do all my work on my bike including mechanical,body,electrical and software(FI). "Poser" is a word that someone uses when he or she feels threatened by that said individual..............but if I qualify as a poser in your eyes(or whoever), I think I can live with that. Something tells me I will still be able to sleep soundly at might.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

say what you want but lots of us on several forums with lots of motor building experience have already been the DTT route....it works....its not a plug and play....mine and several others did not ever have the crispness of a well tuned SERT....all of us now have either sold them or selved them....i ran one for over a year....run it if you like, we know what a DTT is good for and we know about the customer service too

bit of personal advice....several of us on here you've had words with are close friends and have logged many miles together....its not there's no room for a tech/mech, its just youre goin about it with abit too much absolute...we're a very accepting crowd, please asimilate yourself easier

Quick Reply: SE crankshaft