Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mps1168
Super:

I'd like to keep the cost of engine parts/machining under $2000, labor and dyno NOT included. I'd be absolutely estatic to do the complete job, labor and dyno for around $2500max.

What can I do with a budget of $2-2500 knowing I will pay someone (indy) to do the labor?

mps
OK, I guess the big question here is before I proceed to answer you is:

Are you going to at least disassemble the engine yourself? The engine parts and machining can easily be kept under your budget, the but the labor to have someone disassemble and reassemble the setup may get costly. May want to check around your area get an idea how much that will run you from a reputable place.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
new_mentor70
Tourer

F. This is where I will diagree. The few HQ heads I have had a chance to play with were very similiar in design to Branch flowmetrics heads. Both places had very "pretty" work with polished chambers,but used overly large exhaust valves and the ports were too large. I mean, they still made much better power than stock TC heads, but I felt they were better suited for a very high revving high hp engine setup with a very narrow(high) rpm band.

Its been a while since youve seen HQ heads then!
I do agree with you on the Branch heads, but they offer a toruing head now that is more in line with Big boyz and the like.

the exhast valve sizing with the HQ stuff will probably hurt a build if NOT using with HQ cams. the ports on my heads are not that much larger that stock.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dalton
One point I agree with, I run the TCFI II and it is a good system, but disagree wen you say that SERT is not a good system. In capable hands, SERT is an excellent system and the new TTS Mastertune, though yet uproven with a lot of miles, appears to elevate the SERT to the next level.
I recently opted for the TTS over the TCFI. I don't plan to get into the engine for a good while.

The TTS is as well-tested as the SERT because it is the SERT. It just now has a few more capabilities, one of which is some software which can assist in generating a custom tune on or off the dyno. You can't get 100% MAP with it off the dyno, but you can use other of the software along with some care to nail that. I'm tickled pink with it.

I'm also enjoying the banter in this thread.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by new_mentor70
F. This is where I will diagree. The few HQ heads I have had a chance to play with were very similiar in design to Branch flowmetrics heads. Both places had very "pretty" work with polished chambers,but used overly large exhaust valves and the ports were too large. I mean, they still made much better power than stock TC heads, but I felt they were better suited for a very high revving high hp engine setup with a very narrow(high) rpm band.

Its been a while since youve seen HQ heads then!
I do agree with you on the Branch heads, but they offer a toruing head now that is more in line with Big boyz and the like.

the exhast valve sizing with the HQ stuff will probably hurt a build if NOT using with HQ cams. the ports on my heads are not that much larger that stock.

Its actually been about 4-5 years in truth. If they now offer a different exhaust port setup that may be. The places I have recommended though have gotten twin cam engines "right" on setting up for the street from day 1 and are known to perform and use good durable parts in their work. People look at all my engines "specifications" and think I chose the wrong cams etc. for heavy street cruisers........that is until they gave em a spin. But it all starts with a careully setup head/piston and cam combo.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by glens
I recently opted for the TTS over the TCFI. I don't plan to get into the engine for a good while.

The TTS is as well-tested as the SERT because it is the SERT. It just now has a few more capabilities, one of which is some software which can assist in generating a custom tune on or off the dyno. You can't get 100% MAP with it off the dyno, but you can use other of the software along with some care to nail that. I'm tickled pink with it.

I'm also enjoying the banter in this thread.
In many ways the TFCI could be called a "SERT" too(though a much better one at that), but the big deal with these systems is that the wideband sensors are able to calibrate and adjust on the fly while riding. You just cant do that on a dyno in reality.

The TFCI will allow for a 100% MAP btw, and the dyno I have found to be pretty much useless since aquiring 3-4 of em. I'm a big fan of the wideband feedback systems. I'd take any of them over a canned map system any day of the week.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If not for the PM's & emails from unsuspecting & suspecious members, I would not waste my time or breath on this thread.

Opinions are like azzholes... Everybody's got one, some smell like them, and some produce the same thing.

I don't know where to start, so just a few of the "interesting" things from within....

* Miss-information: looks like we have a new provider for that.

* Never heard of Darkhorse Crankworks: New to the business, eh? As you a business or individual?

* HQ heads look like polished Branch heads: Total BullSh1t - no similarity whatsoever

* Haven't looked at HQ stuff in 5yrs: or 10 or 15 or .....ever...????

* Square or over-square is best: May be true on a light bike, depending on application and intended use. And you know this secret because you unroll your sleeping bag in the Holliday Inn Express parking lot?

* SERT / TTS are junk: you are just incapable of using them properly

* TCFI-III is superior: I am quite certain I have installed and tuned as many of these systems (probably more) as you have. I've used the IID & III with decent success and results on many bikes including my own. I have also ridden across county many times with them. THere are "some" benefits to the DTT when it comes to changing build components. However, a PROPERLY TUNED SERT will always "ride" better than a PROPERLY TUNED DTT. Furthermore, Chris Shroeder also sells the TwinScan II+ that allows a reasonablly savvy owner (like the one required to maintain the TCFI) to make the same tuning mods to a SERT that he can do with a DTT. The key benefits to the Dephi system are the fact that they use MAP for BOTH Fuel Control and Timing (not just ignition timing like the DTT) and that it has their petented ION detection feedback.

* Axtell jugs are "superior": Well.... they are good and they do offer many sizing options. Are they the "best"? No. I helped a neighbor just a couple weeks ago that had a badly rattling 117 (4.375x4.125) with Axtel jugs. The motor had just less than 6k miles on it. It had classic piston slap noise. He pulled it down, measused bore & slugs and they were out of round. He shipped them back to Axtell where measurements were validated. They rebored the jugs and replaced the pistons, but CHARGED HIM FOR EVERYTHING. They said it was the tune that caused it. He was running a DTT TCFI-IID, and no I did not install or tune that one.

I could go on, but I I've got better things to do.

So... to those that were suspecious, follow your gut instinct.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by PhilM
If not for the PM's & emails from unsuspecting & suspecious members, I would not waste my time or breath on this thread.

Opinions are like azzholes... Everybody's got one, some smell like them, and some produce the same thing.

I don't know where to start, so just a few of the "interesting" things from within....

* Miss-information: looks like we have a new provider for that.

* Never heard of Darkhorse Crankworks: New to the business, eh? As you a business or individual?

* HQ heads look like polished Branch heads: Total BullSh1t - no similarity whatsoever

* Haven't looked at HQ stuff in 5yrs: or 10 or 15 or .....ever...????

* Square or over-square is best: May be true on a light bike, depending on application and intended use. And you know this secret because you unroll your sleeping bag in the Holliday Inn Express parking lot?

* SERT / TTS are junk: you are just incapable of using them properly

* TCFI-III is superior: I am quite certain I have installed and tuned as many of these systems (probably more) as you have. I've used the IID & III with decent success and results on many bikes including my own. I have also ridden across county many times with them. THere are "some" benefits to the DTT when it comes to changing build components. However, a PROPERLY TUNED SERT will always "ride" better than a PROPERLY TUNED DTT. Furthermore, Chris Shroeder also sells the TwinScan II+ that allows a reasonablly savvy owner (like the one required to maintain the TCFI) to make the same tuning mods to a SERT that he can do with a DTT. The key benefits to the Dephi system are the fact that they use MAP for BOTH Fuel Control and Timing (not just ignition timing like the DTT) and that it has their petented ION detection feedback.

* Axtell jugs are "superior": Well.... they are good and they do offer many sizing options. Are they the "best"? No. I helped a neighbor just a couple weeks ago that had a badly rattling 117 (4.375x4.125) with Axtel jugs. The motor had just less than 6k miles on it. It had classic piston slap noise. He pulled it down, measused bore & slugs and they were out of round. He shipped them back to Axtell where measurements were validated. They rebored the jugs and replaced the pistons, but CHARGED HIM FOR EVERYTHING. They said it was the tune that caused it. He was running a DTT TCFI-IID, and no I did not install or tune that one.

I could go on, but I I've got better things to do.

So... to those that were suspecious, follow your gut instinct.
Well Phil, I'll glady respond in order.

A. Mis-information doesnt come from my end. I post here NOT for financial gain ( unlike a few others obviously ) but for helpful tips and insight for others.

B. There are ALOT of companies known on the "internet" that may not necessarily be known locally. Darkhorse crankworks? How bout STD, EMC or JET? What does this prove? Nothing.

C. Want me to post up some pics of a few headjobs and have you guess who did the work? I bet you would have a hard time discerning the difference between a hand ported head and a CNC'd head......again another point your trying to make that comes up empty if you ask me.

D. Sorry HQ headwork isn't as popular as the internet makes it out to be. And being that I currently work on a foreign autos right now it has been quite a few years since I last laid hands on a HAND ported HQ head.

E. Square or oversquare: So please tell me how an UNDERSQUARE engine has any real advantage here other than one single fact I stated earlier? Especially in a Harley Davidson engine. Total engine displacement it what puts out raw power(torque as some call it, even though torque is just a word for twisting force). Next thing your going to tell me is that putting the wristpin in the ringlands is a great idea too right?

If you want to question what I'm saying here, how bout putting down some facts to DISPROVE what I'm saying?

F. The SERT is literally 20 year old technology. Its a poor item for new people to fuel injected systems, and just the simple amount of internet posts alone on people having problems getting their bikes correctly tuned with them just furthers my point. How many SERT posts do you see with people having one issue or another? For a street ridden bike where conditions and loads change constantly there are much better options. This isn't the drag strip.........

But since your the expert here and before I go on further and in detail on this point, maybe you should explain to us all how a well set up SERT will "ride" better than a well set up TFCI?

I will say this: The "patented" ION(for those who don't know its a software based knock detection system which uses feedback through the sparkplug to detect engine knock/detonation) is unfortunately a somewhat necessary evil which Harley uses to have their bikes run better due to the overly lean af setup the bikes have to have to pass emissions from the factory. Works so well the bikes still many times have poor engine knock issues....

G. Axtell jugs are superior. I never said they were perfect though. But I bet their RMA issues are alot lower per hundred than say a jug from Harley. And I can garentee that overall they hold their specs better than any HD jug. But to say they are free from ever having a fault never came out of my mouth did it now?

As for their business practices or what happened to your friends setup, who knows why they were out of round? Could be his fault! If you didn't do the "build" then why even comment on this?

So to those who are "suspecious" who don't happen to post here with any regards to "financial gain", please do follow your gut instincts.

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 10-17-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you sure do make friends good there buttwipe.....shouldnt you be ridin a camel

Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by Bryan TTM
you sure do make friends good there buttwipe.....shouldnt you be ridin a camel
Honestly, take a look at your own mature response and you tell me if I would even want to be a friend with someone that shows as much class as you do.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

SA: HQ heads ARE NOT CNC'd--don't know where you got that WRONG information.

Underquare produces torque sooner which is what we need on baggers--a square or oversquare motor turning high rpms may work great in a pony car, but it's not going to work in the Buick Estate wagon.

The sportbikes tend to be oversquare producing little torque, but great horsepower at much higher RPM's than most of us ride on our V-twins.

DTT is a nice "fuel managment" device; but, since it doesn't auto-adjust ignition timing, to call it an auto-tune device is misleading at least.

You probably have some useful information to share and that's welcome. The "attitude", however, is not.

Quick Reply: SE crankshaft