Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

I need some advices about backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 02:46 AM
91hdfxr64
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advices about backfiring

Last spring I bought a !991 Harley-Davidson for the first time. I was so exicited about it and I rode most of the summer to work and back daily. One Late afternoon just before I went to start my bike and it backfired like crazy. I called the bike mechanic about the backfire and he said it was very common. He suggested I changed the spark plugs and bought the splitfire sparks. Problems solved but it backfired again in the next month. I changed them again and it was better for awhile. Is it odd to change the spark plugs often in one whole summer?? Any tips, bikers??

Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I need some advices about backfiring

Is the backfire coming from the exhaust or the intake. Is the backfire at each startup, or only occassionally?

Old 03-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the older bikes it's not uncommon to regularly change plugs.

What did the plugs look like, were they fouled?

Did you change wires?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

What is your starting procedure? And are you shutting the petcock off when you shut the engine off?

My '87 will backfire when I start it if a little gas happens to be in the cylinders. It also does it if the engine is started, shut down, and immediately restarted. Never does it when I follow my regular starting procedure: Check in neutral, choke on, ignition on, 1/4 throttle, hit starter switch. When bike starts, turn petcock on. As bike warms, ease off choke. When cylinders/heads somewhat uncomfortably warm to hand, ride off slowly until engine warmed to normal operating temperature, further easing choke off as needed.

It's possible for some gas to be leaking into the engine. If so, get the carb float valve adjusted/replaced ASAP. You could also have some bad gas, especially if it sat this winter without being stabilized. Weak ignition, from bad wires, cracked coil, or ignition module could cause it, too.

Put some fresh gas in, start the bike in the dark, and look for any "glow" around the plug wires. If seen, replace the plug wires.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:29 PM
hawk
Road Master

what he said
ORIGINAL: pococj

What is your starting procedure? And are you shutting the petcock off when you shut the engine off?

My '87 will backfire when I start it if a little gas happens to be in the cylinders. It also does it if the engine is started, shut down, and immediately restarted. Never does it when I follow my regular starting procedure: Check in neutral, choke on, ignition on, 1/4 throttle, hit starter switch. When bike starts, turn petcock on. As bike warms, ease off choke. When cylinders/heads somewhat uncomfortably warm to hand, ride off slowly until engine warmed to normal operating temperature, further easing choke off as needed.

It's possible for some gas to be leaking into the engine. If so, get the carb float valve adjusted/replaced ASAP. You could also have some bad gas, especially if it sat this winter without being stabilized. Weak ignition, from bad wires, cracked coil, or ignition module could cause it, too.

Put some fresh gas in, start the bike in the dark, and look for any "glow" around the plug wires. If seen, replace the plug wires.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:33 PM
igniter
Cruiser

Heads up for what its worth. Backfire means out of the carburator, coming back from the combustion chamber. Aterfire means out of the tailpipe, coming after the combustion chamber. Oh no I think I started something.[sm=imsorry.gif]