Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:38 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...

With my throttle feelling a little less than smooth I decided it was time to replace my throttle and idle cables and went with a stainless braided set. I measured the housing length and ordered a set for my '99 Night Train with S&S Carb. The boxes were labled for S&S carb, however there is not enough free cable length (the cable outside of the housing). Please check out the attached photo and let me know if any of you guys and gals have any ideas whatsoever... I have left a message with the cable folks, but no response yet.
Thanks!!
'99 Night Train Stainless Throttle and Idle Cables

Old 03-27-2005, 01:26 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...

Might be a stupid question, and I don't know for sure myself...but is there an adjuster nut on throttle and idle cables or is it one piece?

Mac

Old 03-27-2005, 10:27 AM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Mac,
There are adjustments on both cables and I have them all the together (i.e. maximum cable hanging out of the housing). What are the differences from the standard carb and the S&S carb cables?
Txnks,
David

Old 03-27-2005, 10:50 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I have NOT A CLUE.

You hit the end of my trouble shooting ability as I have not done this mod myself yet. The only manual I have is for cruisers, so I can't help you there.

I guess the only thing I can offer up is this...did you compare the lengths of the two cables when you had them both off? If they were the same, (not trying to insult your intelligence, but I often do stupid stuff when I'm in the thick of the battle myself), are you sure you have them fully extended? Did you route them through the bike the same way as the stock cables? If all that is the case, have you tried hooking them up to the carb first and then trying to adjust at the handlebar? Not sure what your manual says to do on this, and it might not be a good idea, but I would look for kinks, or areas where you can save an inch or so...

Sorry I don't have more for you,

Mac

Old 03-27-2005, 11:53 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Since you have the jacket fully adjusted up, and the inner cable ain't long enough, return 'em with an explanation of the problem. Who made them, and who'd you get them from?

I bought a new ss speedo cable that was s'posed to be exact replacement for stock; it was about 2 inches short.

Are the push & pull cables identical? Would it make a diff if they were swapped? Just wonderin', 'cause first thing I did on my push-pull was get rid of the extra cable. Just another piece of gooberment mandated excess.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

These cables are made by Magnum Shielding and the quality is very good (I also have their clutch cable, spark plug wires and front brake hose) and I got them through The Cycle Shack. I tried swapping them, but as they have the same travel it didn't do any good. As I was told, I measured the housing length and ordered based on the bike and carb (S&S). There just isn't enough travel and actually, the OEM travel appears to be just about right. I spoke with Magnum Shielding and was told since I only trial fitted the cables and did not install and use them that I could return them to The Cycle Shack and exchange them for the ones I need. Well... The Cycle Shack sent me an email saying: "If the cables we sent you are have a manufacturing defect, we'll be more then glad to work with you on getting a replacement set of the same part number cables."
Well KMFA... I have sent a note to Magnum Shielding and hope I can exchange them directly...
Any thoughts?
David

Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 AM
bigB
Intermediate

txmoors, hey did ya try hooking the cable to the carb end and then manually open the throttle this should give extra cable to get into the lever end??? just a thought.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:55 AM
bigB
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: pococj

Since you have the jacket fully adjusted up, and the inner cable ain't long enough, return 'em with an explanation of the problem. Who made them, and who'd you get them from?

I bought a new ss speedo cable that was s'posed to be exact replacement for stock; it was about 2 inches short.

Are the push & pull cables identical? Would it make a diff if they were swapped? Just wonderin', 'cause first thing I did on my push-pull was get rid of the extra cable. Just another piece of gooberment mandated excess.

The first time you have a cable bind or stick I bet you would put that "gooberment mandated excess" back on. I was the same way, until you know what happend. Very next day I was out buying new cables, yes push-pull.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:15 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bigB
txmoors, hey did ya try hooking the cable to the carb end and then manually open the throttle this should give extra cable to get into the lever end??? just a thought.
Yep, I tried that last night and thought it was going to make it, but there wasn't enough cable to go around the thottle grip. I guess if they are going to be turds about the exchange, I will set down at my bench with some masking tape, exacto knife, dremel and crimper and begin performing surgery.... I have an inch or so of cable housing I can do without if I have to....

Old 03-30-2005, 09:21 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigB

ORIGINAL: pococj

The first time you have a cable bind or stick I bet you would put that "gooberment mandated excess" back on. I was the same way, until you know what happend. Very next day I was out buying new cables, yes push-pull.
I run a Pat Kennedy internal throttle on my '87 Sloptail. My '78 FLH had an early style internal throttle adapted to it. And my '72 Sporty started out with the stock internal throttle, went thru several other types depending on the carb I was running, and ended up with the stock internal throttle on it.

I've never had a throttle cable stick. Did have a 38 Mikuni (old round slide) pop open. I killed the engine, just as I would do now if a carb or cable malfunctioned.

Quick Reply: Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...