Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle & Idle Cables for S&S Carb...

I received a not so nice email back from The Cycle Shack basically saying that I got what I ordered and it should work (based on the model and carb) and if it doesn't I am SOL unless the manufacturer wants to deal with me directly. I spoke with Magnum Shielding and had copied them on the various emails and they were more than willing to exchange the cables, as long as mine were still unused and in 'new' condition. Not a problem as I have the bike torn down repainting the tins, frame, etc. and the bike is not running. I used a piece of thick string last night and determined the travel needed will pass this on to Magnum Shielding, along with my carb model / series number to prevent others from having the same issue.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Sounds like time to cross Cycle Shack off the list of good parts joints. Ya ever wonder if idjits like that figure out what damage can be done to their reputation via the internet?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:21 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old post, but I think I can shed some light on this for others that may be getting new cables. S&S carbs did a change over at some point for the older bikes and added a bracket that allows you to use your OEM cables instead of the S&S cables. If your S&S carb has a tall cable stay (like and 1 or more) you need OEM length cables. If it has a short one (like 1/2" or so I don't have it in front of me right now), then you need S&S length cables. Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to beat an old post, but on my 99 night train with the S & S Super E, we only installed 1 cable. The spring on the throttle is so much stronger than stock, there was no need for the return (which was too short anyway).
Come to think of it, my mechanic scrapped the S & S cables and used one of his spares.