Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Noobie questoins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM
King_O_Road
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie questoins?

OK, (I know I am new to these bikes so give me a break)
What is the difference in / or the the meaning of:
Re-Tuning /Re-Mapping / Re-Jet / Re-Sync

Then what is the diff between the Stage 1, Stage 2 , PC (Power commander?) 1 &2...

I got an 2008 Dyna Fat Bob, and a friend gave me some Samson pipes, I know I need to get something done so the bike will run right after I get them on, but all of the above keeps popping up and I am unsure just what I need to do, and what to call it.
Also why do I have to have the O2 sensors in? Can't I just get a plug for them? I am in Texas and we don't have to have the emmissons that Cal. does. The pipes that where given have no O2 ports.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remapping is the process of changing the tuning parameters within the ECM that controll air/fuel ratios and engine timing. Stage 1, 2 etc downloads are different maps (electronic files) that HD will use to change those parameters. A stage 1, 2 etc build is different levels of components used in modifying the engine, stage one bwing usually a SE air filter, slip on exhaust and a remap. If you go t pipes without the o2 sensor bungs, I would not recommend using them unless you are going to run a PC III and using the O2 eliminators, which bypass the sensing system in the ECM and prevents it from throwing fault codes when the sensors are just unplugged. Way too much information to provide in this answer, start doing some searches on this forum and you will learn a lot, once you do you can start asking more specific questions and getting answers that will make more sense to you. Good luck with your modifications.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
King_O_Road
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, now I have at least a starting point to start my learning curve.....
That is one nice looking bike you there too by the way...

Old 09-21-2008, 11:43 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Dalton said for re-mapping! For the rest: re-tuning just a different name for "re-mapping" and must be done at dealer's when using the stock HD ECM/fuel mapping (called an "upgrade"). Re-Jetting relates to same as "mapping" but physically done to carburators to balance the intake-to-exhaust (spitting bad), obtain peak performance, and the proper air-fuel ratio; this can be done in the garage by trial & error and at a dealer for exhaust gas analysis or dyno. "Re-Sync" is if you change your HFSS/TSSM/ECM, it has to be "password learn" to the ECM otherwise it will continually throw DTC's (trouble codes) and probably crank but not start; this has to be done at the dealers. As far as the O2 sensors go, if you have them installed, do not unplug them because of the constant & unclearable DTC's and the other EFI systems will "readjust" for the "lean condition" in the O2 sensors and compensate (probably run crappy)!